Sign in to follow this  
trek_dude

Star Wars Trilogy DVD

I was thinking of getting the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD and I was wondering if it is worth getting.

I own the 1997 special edition (the only version I have ever seen) and I know that some scenes on the DVD's were changed, making them different to the 97 release. :assimilated: :lol:

Edited by trek_dude

Don't bother buying them.

The changes are barely noticable, other than the addition of Ian McDiarmid in ESB and Hayden Christensen in ROTJ.

The Special Editions are far superior.

Don't bother buying them.

The changes are barely noticable, other than the addition of Ian McDiarmid in ESB and Hayden Christensen in ROTJ.

329012[/snapback]

More than that. The scene in A New Hope when Luke meets someone in the Rebel Alliance who supposedly flew with his father is out. This was one of the special enhamcements Lucas made in 1997 and had to take out now that we know more about Anakin. The only people Anakin could have flown with are the Naboo fighters in The Phantom Menace who would all be too old in A New Hope and some Clonetroopers/Stormtroopers who obviously would not be in the Alliance.

There is also the addition of Naboo in the celebration sequence at the end of Return of the Jedi.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

It is good just to have them on DVD but if you think about it when ep 3 comes out I see a big set that has all six. I am not saying that will happen but I can't see a reason why it won't. On the other hand the DVD's do have directors comentay with lucas carrie fisher and some of the background people if you like that kind of thing.

the DVDs are worth getting for sure, the picture is so clear they look like they are standing in front of you.

George has already said that he's sorry if people have fallen in love with the half finished product of the original Star Wars. All of this updated stuff is the way it was supposed to be original but only now has the technology to do it.

I wonder how many people would have liked Star Wars if the original film was exactly like the DVD version? People put it down so much, it makes me wonder, not talking about you guys, just fans in general that don't like the new additions.

I like Ian being in ESB, after all, he played the Emperor in ROTJ so he might as well have an updated face on ESB. The Emperor on the original ESB looks like a puppet, I was thankful for the updated look and added dialogue

It is good just to have them on DVD but if you think about it when ep 3 comes out I see a big set that has all six.  I am not saying that will happen but I can't see a reason why it won't.  On the other hand the DVD's do have directors comentay with lucas carrie fisher and some of the background people if you like that kind of thing. 

329094[/snapback]

You were right

6 Star Wars DVDs in the Fall

6 Star Wars DVDs in the Fall

329152[/snapback]

I am so ecstatic :blush: to see I will be able to buy E3 separately and in my preferred screen version. Way to go JL, thank you for not taking the opportunity to screw us out of more cash by forcing a re-purchase E1&2 in order to get E3! :(

I don't mind the addition of Ian for ESB.

But the dialogue change was unnecessary.

329105[/snapback]

That's Pretty Much How I Feel.

With The Execption Of A Few Scenes, They're Exactly The Same As The 1997 Versions, But They Look And Sound Better.

More than that. The scene in A New Hope when Luke meets someone in the Rebel Alliance who supposedly flew with his father is out. This was one of the special enhamcements Lucas made in 1997 and had to take out now that we know more about Anakin.

This Doesn't Even Happen In The 1997 Version, Unless It Was Taken Out Before The VHS Release.

But, He Does Talk To The Guy In Both The 1997 And 2004 Versions, But With No Mention Of Anakin.

[This Doesn't Even Happen In The 1997 Version, Unless It Was Taken Out Before The VHS Release.

329234[/snapback]

There was a line to the effect of "I flew with your father" or something like that in the theatre version in 1997. It didn't make it into the DVD version and it might not have made it into the VHS version either, I don't think I ever rented it.

But I'm glad Lucas added back in the line where Owen told 3PO to shut up. I don't know why he took it out in the first place. :(

[This Doesn't Even Happen In The 1997 Version, Unless It Was Taken Out Before The VHS Release.

329234[/snapback]

There was a line to the effect of "I flew with your father" or something like that in the theatre version in 1997. It didn't make it into the DVD version and it might not have made it into the VHS version either, I don't think I ever rented it.

But I'm glad Lucas added back in the line where Owen told 3PO to shut up. I don't know why he took it out in the first place. :(

329254[/snapback]

I Have The 1997 Version On VHS, The Line Isn't There, But I Only Saw It At The Cinema Once, So I May Not Remember It Being In That Version.

And When Did He Remove Owen's Shutup Line To 3PO? It's In The VHS..Was It Not In The Theatrical Version?

Who said to Luke that they flew with his father???

Red Leader.

Luke Sees Biggs, They Say Hi, Red Leader Walks Up And Starts Talking To Luke. The Line About Knowing His Father Was Also Included In The Novelization I Believe.

I'd get them. Or, I should say, I got them. Then my girlfriend got it for me... Bit of a mixup. So I sent one of them down to my favorite cousins, who have only seen I and II.

The DVD picture quality is far superior, and just about every shot looks redone or touched up. Especially if you like home theater.