Sign in to follow this  
Flano

Classical Music in Star Trek

Why is it that nearly all music listened to in trek is classical. I know you dont need to buy rights to use it but im sure that somebody somewhere in 400 years time will have an interest in 20th century music. Although in First Contact they do play Magic Carpet Ride and Ooby Dooby but that is set set in 2067.

I've always wondered that myself. Although Tom Paris did mention that he likes Rock N Roll but you never saw him listening to it. I suppose that there must be some form of "popular" music in the 23rd and 24th centuries. We just never saw it.

And where is television? Or at least news channels? You never see anyone vegging out in front of the tube watching Dallas re-runs. Considering how even the pulp fiction of the mid 1800s is now revered as classic, you'd think folks would be watching "Family Matters" in the 23rd century and saying, "Ah, the classics. They just don't make 'em like they used to. You go, Urkel!"

Well, we also know that standards(think like "Blue Skies" in Nemesis) survived, as did jazz(Riker and his trombone, the jazz club in the Binary episodes, and as far as it looks some DS9 episodes), and musical/opera(HMS Pinafore... though that can be grouped with the classical music).

I guess that is predominantly what the crew likes to hear, at least of the music choices that we get to hear.

Television is vaguely mentioned as dying out somewhere in the mid 21st or 22nd century(I think it was brought up in "The Big Goodbye" but I could be mistaken).

I would not doubt that somewhere an officer is checking out "old" movies or tv shows of our century on the holodeck or their viewers in their quarters. Who knows? Or they may be checking out music that we just never get to hear...

Main reason I think we do not get to hear it, is A) How much did survive into that century?? and most importantly B ) Copyright laws, and royalties. THere actually was a bit of a stink kicked up when they did the Sherlock Holmes related episodes. Concerning royalty rights and copyright on the character name.

And where is television?

I just remembered. Tom Paris also had a TV set in his room on Voyager so he could watch cartoons.

Television is vaguely mentioned as dying out somewhere in the mid 21st or 22nd century(I think it was brought up in "The Big Goodbye" but I could be mistaken).

328264[/snapback]

I remember Archer mentioning The Twilight Zone in “Carbon Creek” and Tucker showing “The Day That the Earth Stood Still” to a Vissian in “Cogenitor”.

There is some good 20th century music, some great music but they can't really compare to classical music, it's something that will last forever and always be appreciated.