Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

#2 Yesteryear

What rating would you give "Yesteryear"?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Yesteryear"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Episode 2 Yesteryear

Written by: Dorothy C. Fontana

Directed by: Hal Sutherland

Airdate: Sept. 15, 1973

Stardate: 5373.4

Review Pending...

Characters:

Captain Kirk William Shatner

Mr. Spock Leonard Nimoy

Dr. McCoy DeForest Kelley

Scotty James Doohan

Guest Characters:

Sarek Mark Lenard

Ensign Bates James Doohan

Young Spock Billy Simpson

Young Sepek Keith Sutherland

Amanda Majel Barrett

The Healer James Doohan

Commander Thelin James Doohan

Aleek-Om James Doohan

Grey Majel Barrett

Erikson James Doohan

Guardian of Forever James Doohan

Arriving from the past, Spock realizes he doesn't exist in the future. He then returns to his youth to prevent his untimely death.

Automatically, I knew this episode would be great when I discovered it was written by DC Fontana, arguably the best of all of the Trek writers. I thought right. We really do get a good look into Spock's past and the sad story about his pet sehlat. For those who know, the worst part of the episode is the battle with the Le-Matya. The Le-Matya's roar was Godzilla's roar. It's not that it was similar, it was the same exact roar. But, that is not a big deal compared to the genuinely fantastic story. This is the episode that Gene Roddenberry liked the most out of all of them, and it really is a great episode.

I had to give this one a 5. DC Fontana really made the transition to a half-hour format very well. The plot was kept simpler, with simple explanations. Nice reappearance of the Guardian Of Forever. Good plot, good bearing. Might have been nice to see a slightly annoying, yet tolerable, change in the future with the change involving I-Chaya. Nonetheless, I loved this episode.

5 all the way!

Fantastic episode.

Several vulcan items from this episode were mentioned for the 1st time and them were spoke of again by T'Pol on Enterprise.

I love this episode. Some references from wikipedia:

Canonicity

Some elements of this particular episode have made it into the canon over time. In fact, due perhaps to its solid storyline and the considerable information it gives about Spock's youth and Vulcan, "Yesteryear" has been considered canon by some of the production staff of Star Trek, and as such, information from this episode is more prevalent in later series than other animated episodes. Some specifics:

In the TNG episode "Unification", a dying Sarek describes details of Spock's childhood to Captain Picard. These details come directly from story elements of the animated episode.

The city of Shi'Kahr is referenced on a panel in "The Emissary" which read "Shi-Kar Desert Survival, Vulcan". The city was mentioned in "Fusion" in a reference to the Shi'Kahr Academy, and is apparently the origin of the name of the USS ShirKahr, which was mentioned in "Tears of the Prophets".

A display featured in "Eye of the Beholder" listed the Sepek Academic Scholarship, which was the name of a Vulcan child in "Yesteryear".

Vulcan's Forge was referred to in "Change of Heart" and would be the focus of the Enterprise story arc in "The Forge", "Awakening", and "Kir'Shara".

Both the Lunaport and the kahs-wan ordeal are mentioned in "The Catwalk".

A wild sehlat was recreated with computer generated images CGI in "The Forge". T'Pol referred to the fact that Vulcan children often keep them as pets.

The nearby planet or moon seen briefly behind Shi'Kahr was shown in the original version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

The city backgrounds from this episode were used as visual reference for the backgrounds added in the digitally-remastered "Amok Time".

Sign in to follow this