Sign in to follow this  
ddillard

A Man Alone

What rating would you give "A Man Alone"?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "A Man Alone"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Season: 1

Episode #: 403

Episode Name: A Man Alone

Teleplay By: Michael Piller

Story By: Gerald Sanford and Michael Piller

Original Air Date: 1-17-1993

man0.JPG

Odo discovers that Ibudan, a Bajoran that he had arrested for muder during the occupation, is aboard the station. Odo confronts Ibudan in Quarks and orders him to leave the station. Ibudan is adament that he has a right to be on the station, but Odo still disagrees. Odo then approaches Sisko in an effort to have him order Ibudan to leave the station, explaining that he is murderer. Sisko informs Odo that he cannot order Ibudan off the station because he has not broken any laws on the station.

Shortly after the crew is called to one of the Holosuites in Quark's, where Ibudan has been found murdered. The crew then begin investigating the murder, unfortunately all off the evidence points to Odo having committed the crime. Although most of the crew are confident in his innocence, Sisko is forced to relieve him of duty to alleviate the concerns of some of the stations residents. During the investigation Bashir finds cellular residue in Ibudan's quarters aboard the transport, which he begins experimenting with to discover it's origin.

Meanwhile Keiko O'Brien is frustrated with her lack of duties on the station. She discovers that Jake Sisko and his new Ferengi friend, Nog, have been getting into mischief on the station due to the lack of any structured activities for them to participate. Keiko devises an idea that will not only keep the stations children out of trouble, but will also give her a purpose aboard the station. She speaks with Sisko and gains his approval to open a school on the station, then she begins speaking with the parents of the children on the station pursuade them to allow their children to attend classes.

Odo is confronted by a mob outside his office on the promenade. The group is calling for "justice" in the murder of Ibudan and they hold Odo responsible for the crime. Sisko and Kira respond to the disturbance and attempt to dispurse the crowd. As they are speaking with the mob, Bashir enters stating that he has new evidence to be considered in the murder. Bashir has discovered that the person killed in the holosuite was not Ibudan, but a clone that he had created aboard the transport ship. Odo then reboards the transport and arrests Ibudan, who has been posing as another Bajoran, for the murder of his clone.

man3.JPGman1a.JPG

man1.JPGman2.JPG

Cast:

Avery Brooks as Captain Benjamin Sisko

Rene Auberjonois as Odo

Terry Farrell as Jadzia Dax

Cirroc Lofton as Jake Sisko

Colm Meaney as Miles O'Brien

Armin Shimerman as Quark

Alexander Siddig as Doctor Julian Bashir

Nana Visitor as Kira Nerys

Guest Cast:

Edward Laurance Albert as Zayra

Stephen James Carver as Ibudan

Yom Klunis as Old Man

Peter Vogt as Bajoran #1

One of the things that I liked the most about this episode it that it shows how quickly we are to turn on someone without definitive proof. I will give that the evidence was pointing pretty strongly towards Odo being guilty, but the majority of the station occupants did not know that, they just let their fear and emotions override their better judgment.

3. Some of the dialogue was laughable, especially that given to Odo. Nice to see Keiko again.

As for Ibudan's whodunit... I gotta admit, I thought maybe he'd hacked the holo-massage program to make it kill him, in an attempt to discredit Odo... a self-made martyr of sorts, but what really happened works out better.

I said average. It contradicted other eps in which Odo's neutrality was declared respected by both Cardassians and Bajorans. In a split second, Odo goes from being respected as a neutral, just man focused on maintainting order and devoutly seeking justice to being treated like a detestable, murderous "shifter." It made sick to my stomach when his office got destroyed. It was also an ep that showed how Bajorans aren't too bright.