Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Spock's Brain

What rating would you give "Spock's Brain"?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Spock's Brain"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Episode Review typed by TransporterMalfunction

Season: 3

Production No: 061

Episode Name: Spock’s Brain

Director: Marc Daniels

Written By: Lee Cronin

Original Air Date: 09.20.68

af8968f6.jpg

A mysterious young woman suddenly appears on board the U.S.S. Enterprise and immediately disappears - taking Spock's brain with her. Doctor McCoy manages to keep Spock's body alive due to his Vulcan physiology, however if his brain is not restored to his body within 24 hours he will die.

The Enterprise follows the ion trail of the alien ship to the Sigma Draconis system in which there are three habitable planets. Due to the short time available to them not all of the planets can be searched and Kirk makes the decision to follow a signal of high-energy emissions emanating from Sigma Draconis 6, a glaciated planet hosting a primitive civilisation. Subsequent to an attack by the planet's natives, the landing party discover the members of both sexes are segregated with the males (Morgs) living above ground in the icy wastelands in fear of their female counterparts (Eymorgs), who inhabit a technologically advanced underground city.

Beaming down Spock's body, which is equipped with a remote to mechanically control basic autonomic functions, Kirk leads the away team down into the city, where they are taken captive by the childlike inhabitants and fitted with pain inducing belts. When brought before the Eymorg leader, Kara, Kirk discovers that she is in fact the Enterprise's intruder, and with time quickly running out Kirk questions her as to the location of Spock's brain only to be met with ignorant cries of "Brain and brain! What is brain?"

Show Notes: As the first episode of season three Spock's Brain marks the first appearance of blue credits in the opening title, a change that remained for the entire season. The episode also introduced back projection for the view screen, allowing actors to freely walk in front of the screen.

ee007bad.jpgeecb78c4.jpg

Cast:

William Shatner as James T. Kirk

Leonard Nimoy as Spock

DeForest Kelley as Leonard H. McCoy

James Doohan as Montgomery Scott

Walter Koenig as Pavel Andreievich Chekov

Nichelle Nichols as Uhura

George Takei as Hikaru Sulu

Guest Cast:

Marj Dusay as Kara

James Daris as Morg

Sheila Leighton as Luma

Creative Staff:

Director: Marc Daniels

Written By: Lee Cronin

Related Items:

sonic separator

trilaser connector

ion propulsion

Often considered one of the worst episodes from the weak season three I actually rather like this story. By no means is it a classic and there are a few cringe worthy lines but other than that I consider it an enjoyable romp. When compared to The Way to Eden this looks like a jem and if you can look beyond the slightly silly design of Spock's remote control then I think many others will find this a fun episode.

I gave this one a three. I really have no reason to hate this one or think it's great. Interesting acting job from McCoy, nice job of comedic addition at the end. The regression of the society is a little unbelievable, though the explanation of climatic change on a global scale did explain the natural hows and all. I like the humorous bit about givers of pain and pleasure turning out to be women. All in all, ho hum. But I could enjoy watching it again.

EDIT: trying to make my post show up.

Edited by youbroughtheryouRiker

Sign in to follow this