Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Amok Time

What rating would you give "Amok Time"?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Amok Time"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

I gave this a three. Adding Chekhov was a great decision, first of all. Sulu and Chekhov's banter between each other made a great kind of peanut gallery. Interesting that Bones would be on the planet too, since in the first season we see a combination of animosity and professional courtesy between McCoy and Spock.

What I wasn't impressed with though, was what transpired on the Vulcan surface. One of Kirk's main reasons for accepting was to look good in front of T'Pau? Weapons breaking apart that easily? I also think Stonn should have a been a LITTLE bit more important to the story. He was a piece of furniture, basically.

And no, I didn't get all a-twitter about seeing this dimension of Spock. It was greatly acted, and there was nothing uncomfortable about seeing it for me, but eh.

Another great episode. I loved the look of betrayal on Chapel's face when Spock told her that T'Pring was his wife! The fight scenes were pretty good although I agree that the weapons broke too easily. T'Pau, of course, was also featured as a young woman in an episode of Enterprise.

A classic episode and our first look at the planet Vulcan. Nice work by our regulars, particularly Nimoy, and wonderful jobs by Arlene Martel as T'Pring and the brief appearances of Celia Lovsky as T'Pau. I think the set of Vulcan was also a star. I agree the weapons shouldn't fall apart, but for the time it was a great episode and advanced the character of Spock and our knowledge of Vulcans and Vulcan. One of my TOS favorites.

As the concept of Enterprise was drafted T'Pol was supposed to be named T'Pau and would be that character from Amok Time, TMP, and TSFS. The lawyers said that if they did that they would have to pay a royalty to the actress originally playing T'Pau every time her name was used.

One of the top 10 Star Trek episodes ever!

martel41.jpg

Excellent Spock episode. As for the critique of Spock being stronger therefore he should have been easy victor...

1. Spock was not at 100% due to Pon Far/Blood Fever/McCoy's comments that he probably couldn't take Stonn in his current condition, the main reason he accepted the challenge to begin with.

2. Kirk was perhaps the most skilled pugilist the Federation has ever known and was always more than able handle himself against any opponent.

Sign in to follow this