Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Thou Shalt Not Break Canon

I had posted a thread in the Entertainment Forum regarding Star Wars "canon" and how SW fans don't seem to care about breaches in continuity, timelines, etc. Here is a link to that thread for background purposes: Star Wars Canon Question Thread

I'm wondering why the Star Trek franchise is held to such a tremendously high standard regarding canon compared to other franchises. For example, Star Wars consists of 6 films while Star Trek consists of 704 episodes and 10 motion pictures. With so much material in the Star Trek universe, breaches are going to occur. With only 6 Star Wars films, should there really be any?

Considering that Earth history is filled with inconsistencies and unknowns, why do we expect this fictional universe to be documented perfectly. Life is filled with contradictions and inconsistencies afterall.

I agree completely.

It's fine to appreciate the details in Star Trek, but there HAS to be a limit somewhere.

A certain segment of the Trek fanbase are just far too nitpicky over what many I think would consider trivial matters.

The fact is that with a franchise than spans nearly forty years of movies and television episodes, some little canon problems and continuity issues will crop up here and there. Really, it's no big deal.

Please nitpickers, for the sake of common sense, watch the episodes and the movies, enjoy them or don't, criticise or praise, but I appeal to you, don't nitpick over something that no reasonable person cares about.

:P :) :thumbs: