Sign in to follow this  
KIMIMELA

Are Lava Lamps pop art?

Still have the one i got in the early 70's

Had to replace the bulb a few times

still works great. Pop art do not know. I like it. :thumbs:

I own one myself I am going to take a photograph of it for my art project I wasn't sure if it was actually pop art but after what cassidy posted I guess it's a yes.

I sit and watch it at night while reading books. I class it as part of Trek. :thumbs:

I associate lava lamps less with Star Trek but more to The Prisoner [This surreal allegory on freedoms and so forth about a secret agent, labelled No.6, trapped in this prison that takes on the look of an old seaside town called the Village that's packed solid with high-tech surveillance, &c. Made in 1967—1968. :thumbs:]

post-812-1095566621.gif

B) B) :dude: :( B) "I wanna be a hippy and I wanna get stoned!"

Man, I love that song....

Peace!

I think it's a matter of opinion. I wouldn't consider them pop art but I can see how some people would.

How did the Lava lamp come about

Click For Spoiler
The History of Lava Lamps

Craven Walker - How Lava Lamps Work

Craven Walker

More of the Feature

• Make a Lava Lamp

Related Innovations

• Lightbulbs, Lighting and Lamps

By Mary Bellis

"...starts from nothing, grows possibly a little bit feminine, then a little bit masculine, then breaks up and has children. It's a sexy thing."- Craven Walker

Singapore-born inventor Craven Walker was having a pint in post W.W.II England. The pub's decor included a fascinating lamp, which Craven Walker described as a "contraption made out of a cocktail shaker, old tins and things." It was to become the starting point and inspiration for Walker's design.

The liquid-filled inventor proceeded to purchase the equally liquid-filled lamp, whose creator (Mr. Dunnett) Walker later discovered had died. Walker became determined to make a better version of the novelty item and spent the next decade and a half doing so ( in between running an international house-swap agency and making films about nudism ). Walker worked on improving the lamp with his company the Crestworth Company of Dorset, England.

Initially local retail merchants thought his lamps were ugly and disgusting. Luckily, for Craven Walker the "Psychedelic Movement" and the "Love Generation" came to dominate 60's merchandising in Great Britain and sales of the lava lamp soared. It was the perfect light for modern times, Walker declared. "If you buy my lamp, you won't need to buy drugs."

Lava Lamp

He had perfected a secret Lava recipe of oil, wax and other solids. The original model had a large gold base with tiny holes to simulate starlight, and a 52 oz. globe that contained red or white Lava and yellow or blue liquid. He marketed the lamp in Europe under the name of Astro Lamp. Two American entrepreneurs saw the lava lamp displayed at a German trade show and bought the rights to manufacture the lava lamp in North America. They renamed it the Lava Lite lamp and began production in Chicago where it continues today. Craven Walker remained working as a technical advisor to the company. Before selling his company, sales of the lamps had exceeded seven million units. Today with over 400,000 llava amps made each year, the Lava Lite lamp is enjoying a comeback.

What is Pop Art?

Click For Spoiler
"The term first appeared in Britain during the 1950s and referred to the interest of a number of artists in the images of mass media, advertising, comics and consumer products. The 1950s were a period of optimism in Britain following the end of war-time rationing, and a consumer boom took place. Influenced by the art seen in Eduardo Paolozzi's 1953 exhibition Parallel between Art and Life at the Institute for Contemporary Arts, and by American artists such as Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg, British artists such as Richard Hamilton and the Independent Group aimed at broadening taste into more popular, less academic art. Hamilton helped organize the 'Man, Machine, and Motion' exhibition in 1955, and 'This is Tomorrow' with its landmark image Just What is it that makes today's home so different, so appealing? (1956). Pop Art therefore coincided with the youth and pop music phenomenon of the 1950s and '60s, and became very much a part of the image of fashionable, 'swinging' London. Peter Blake, for example, designed album covers for Elvis Presley and the Beatles and placed film stars such as Brigitte Bardot in his pictures in the same way that Warhol was immortalizing Marilyn Monroe in the USA. Pop art came in a number of waves, but all its adherents - Joe Trilson, Richard Smith, Peter Phillips, David Hockney and R.B. Kitaj - shared some interest in the urban, consumer, modern experience

Art Deco was mainly through the 1920's - 40's :dude:

How did the Lava lamp come about

Click For Spoiler
The History of Lava Lamps

Craven Walker - How Lava Lamps Work

Craven Walker

More of the Feature

• Make a Lava Lamp

Related Innovations

• Lightbulbs, Lighting and Lamps

By Mary Bellis

"...starts from nothing, grows possibly a little bit feminine, then a little bit masculine, then breaks up and has children. It's a sexy thing."- Craven Walker

Singapore-born inventor Craven Walker was having a pint in post W.W.II England. The pub's decor included a fascinating lamp, which Craven Walker described as a "contraption made out of a cocktail shaker, old tins and things." It was to become the starting point and inspiration for Walker's design.

The liquid-filled inventor proceeded to purchase the equally liquid-filled lamp, whose creator (Mr. Dunnett) Walker later discovered had died. Walker became determined to make a better version of the novelty item and spent the next decade and a half doing so ( in between running an international house-swap agency and making films about nudism ). Walker worked on improving the lamp with his company the Crestworth Company of Dorset, England.

Initially local retail merchants thought his lamps were ugly and disgusting. Luckily, for Craven Walker the "Psychedelic Movement" and the "Love Generation" came to dominate 60's merchandising in Great Britain and sales of the lava lamp soared. It was the perfect light for modern times, Walker declared. "If you buy my lamp, you won't need to buy drugs."

Lava Lamp

He had perfected a secret Lava recipe of oil, wax and other solids. The original model had a large gold base with tiny holes to simulate starlight, and a 52 oz. globe that contained red or white Lava and yellow or blue liquid. He marketed the lamp in Europe under the name of Astro Lamp. Two American entrepreneurs saw the lava lamp displayed at a German trade show and bought the rights to manufacture the lava lamp in North America. They renamed it the Lava Lite lamp and began production in Chicago where it continues today. Craven Walker remained working as a technical advisor to the company. Before selling his company, sales of the lamps had exceeded seven million units. Today with over 400,000 llava amps made each year, the Lava Lite lamp is enjoying a comeback.

What is Pop Art?

Click For Spoiler
"The term first appeared in Britain during the 1950s and referred to the interest of a number of artists in the images of mass media, advertising, comics and consumer products. The 1950s were a period of optimism in Britain following the end of war-time rationing, and a consumer boom took place. Influenced by the art seen in Eduardo Paolozzi's 1953 exhibition Parallel between Art and Life at the Institute for Contemporary Arts, and by American artists such as Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg, British artists such as Richard Hamilton and the Independent Group aimed at broadening taste into more popular, less academic art. Hamilton helped organize the 'Man, Machine, and Motion' exhibition in 1955, and 'This is Tomorrow' with its landmark image Just What is it that makes today's home so different, so appealing? (1956). Pop Art therefore coincided with the youth and pop music phenomenon of the 1950s and '60s, and became very much a part of the image of fashionable, 'swinging' London. Peter Blake, for example, designed album covers for Elvis Presley and the Beatles and placed film stars such as Brigitte Bardot in his pictures in the same way that Warhol was immortalizing Marilyn Monroe in the USA. Pop art came in a number of waves, but all its adherents - Joe Trilson, Richard Smith, Peter Phillips, David Hockney and R.B. Kitaj - shared some interest in the urban, consumer, modern experience

Art Deco was mainly through the 1920's - 40's :(

326267[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. Always glad to learn something new. :dude: