Sign in to follow this  
Yillara Skye

What is your least favorite...

What is your least favorite of these?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is your least favorite of these?

• Physics
    • Chemistry
    • Biology
    • Mathematics
    • None, I like them all
    • None, dont hate them, dont like them much either

I tend to say that I dislike mathematics unless it is applied in physics or another science...but really I actually like/love them all.

I chose biology. It just didn't... erm... well have that "spark" the others had. I mean, I liked it well enough, just not as much as the others. My favorite parts of bio were genetics and the cell. The rest was just kind of... there. I have fun cell songs!

Mitosis, mitosis!

What every cell knows is

When it comes time to divide...

Mitosis will be working inside!

Cells, cells!

Cells are swell!

Cells are made of organelles!

Organelles, organelles!

Organelles, they serve cells well!

And now that you all think I'm crazy... I think I'll be going...

The only one on that list I DID like was Mathematics.

I chose biology.  It just didn't... erm... well have that "spark" the others had.  I mean, I liked it well enough, just not as much as the others.  My favorite parts of bio were genetics and the cell.  The rest was just kind of... there.  I have fun cell songs!

Mitosis, mitosis!

What every cell knows is

When it comes time to divide...

Mitosis will be working inside!

Cells, cells!

Cells are swell!

Cells are made of organelles!

Organelles, organelles!

Organelles, they serve cells well!

And now that you all think I'm crazy... I think I'll be going...

OMG! :lol: ! That is so cute!!!

Well, I would have to say biology.

I don’t care for it that much. Yes, I admit there are neat things about it. I do like genetics, but other then that nothing sticks out for me.

I know I made some harsh comments on math courses, but it really depends on the instructor. I like math a lot, but most math instructors don’t teach it right.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

but most math instructors don’t teach it right.

Isn't this the truth! My middle school years... OMG! they were ridiculous! my 6th grate teacher was supposed to prepare those of us who qualified for pre-algebra.Did she?NO, she said we'd learn it a whole lot better from the Pre-alg teacher the next year. 7th grade, my pre-alg teacher got quite irked at us for having difficulties with certain concepts...which should have been learned in the 6th grade class. Well, he was supposed to prepare us that were qualified to go to Algebra I honors...and did he?NO, because he was so very obnoxious that he was fired and we got a substitute who was new to teaching algebra(she actually was a great teacher, but not quite prepared to teach a year of pre-algebra in 2 months!) 8th grade....Algebra I Honors(for high school credit)....same situation, however our teacher got so fed up with students not grasping concepts that she'd regularly throw hissy fits because "why'd she get stuck with 3 classes of complete mental retards!!!"(her exact words, btw! :rolleyes: ) I have no idea why she called us that, since majority of my class had an A in her class, myself included.

High school went better...well, they were pretty slow in teaching stuff...maybe it was just me, but they really needed to pick up the pace a bit seems like it took forever to teach(?) one concept and move on to another(luckily, I did like I was supposed to do..bring lots of stuff to keep me busy, like catalogueing Greek and Roman mythological characters, and drawing family trees). Now college....there was a place where I truly enjoyed taking math courses!

Isn't this the truth! My middle school years... OMG! they were ridiculous!

Heh. I got sucked into the honors math course one day in fourth grade when I proved I could multiply two two-digit numbers when the class hadn't learned it yet. My mom had shown me one night on a napkin at a restaurant. I followed it all the way through. I could never figure out what I was doing there, because I didn't understand anything from that point until the end of seventh grade. I may be exaggerating... a little... but I was continually confused. It may have been my teachers... but it was probably just me. Looking back, I think it was a combination.

But I have been lucky to have had wonderful math teachers ever since Algebra. Algebra was the first math class I had where it finally clicked for me. It all fell into place. I had never liked math much, but now I did. It was very strange. And I kept having good teachers. I am so thankful for that because I love math now. I used to hate it... with a passion! And now I love it. I even voted for it as my favorite. Isn't it strange how peoples' lives can just change like that?

Heh. I got sucked into the honors math course one day in fourth grade when I proved I could multiply two two-digit numbers when the class hadn't learned it yet. My mom had shown me one night on a napkin at a restaurant. I followed it all the way through. I could never figure out what I was doing there, because I didn't understand anything from that point until the end of seventh grade. I may be exaggerating... a little... but I was continually confused. It may have been my teachers... but it was probably just me. Looking back, I think it was a combination.

But I have been lucky to have had wonderful math teachers ever since Algebra. Algebra was the first math class I had where it finally clicked for me. It all fell into place. I had never liked math much, but now I did. It was very strange. And I kept having good teachers. I am so thankful for that because I love math now. I used to hate it... with a passion! And now I love it. I even voted for it as my favorite. Isn't it strange how peoples' lives can just change like that?

Yeah, it is.

I think this whole issue of instructors’ not teaching math correctly fall the same as something like physics or some other science. They don’t do it right!

I remember in high school (was not that long ago) that all the teachers taught math the same.

Here is an example of a lecture:

“To figure out this problem:

Step 1: ________

Step 2: ________

Step 3: ________

[and so on]”

What is that about!?

I would say 75% (maybe more) of the students are only learning the steps!

That’s not learning. Anyone could do step by step, but that’s not the point. Do you think someone who is doing research in modern math has that luxury? No, they don’t.

Teachers have to teach the concept of “why!”

If a student sees a different problem on the paper or in the text book, then they say

“But we never did a problem like this!”

That just shows that they have not learned anything. All they have learned is a bunch of steeps. If students understand the concept, then they can apply and extend that concept to do original problems and original thinking.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Or the fact that if you show promise in elementary school years they don't try to hone those skills, they try and shove you into the proverbial teapot like the dormouse.

We were learning in class(1st grade) how to add really big numbers B) like this 10 + 5, and the teacher caught me writing and took my paper. She looked astonished for a moment then set the paper down and tells me that I am not supposed to learn multiplication until 4th or 5th grade, and demanded that I stop writing it. I thought it was because she thought that I didnt do my assignment that everyone had just began to work on, so I handed her my finished paper...she was actually slightly red in the face upset at me! I was 6, she needed to give me a break, it was also only up to the 5 times table anyway...what was her problem?!! (She was the same one who got incensed because I was doing another taboo thing....writing in cursive. Not allowed to learn that until 3rd grade...oooh I am such a baaaad girl) My teacher was nuts, IMO.

And she was not the only one, 3rd grade I kept asking why we were only learning up to the 12 times tables. She asked me what I meant by only up to 12, and I replied what about the 13,14, 15's...she put me in the corner for being a smart-alec trying to make a scene(she also did that when I pointed out her mistake. She said that Pluto was the sevent planet and Uranus was the blue ninth planet! And I did this after the class had left for recess, no one was around). After about 3 minutes of me crying hysterically, she handed me a piece of chalk and says "you think your smarter than everyone else prove it." with that I proceded to write the tables for 13,14,15, and the 20's...she was so upset...even more so, when she got in deep trouble for harassing me and a few other students(all of us could have been advanced between 2 and 4 grade levels)....teachers are crazy at times arent they.. :lol: !

Or the fact that if you show promise in elementary school years they don't try to hone those skills, they try and shove you into the proverbial teapot like the dormouse.

We were learning in class(1st grade) how to add really big numbers B) like this 10 + 5, and the teacher caught me writing and took my paper. She looked astonished for a moment then set the paper down and tells me that I am not supposed to learn multiplication until 4th or 5th grade, and demanded that I stop writing it. I thought it was because she thought that I didnt do my assignment that everyone had just began to work on, so I handed her my finished paper...she was actually slightly red in the face upset at me! I was 6, she needed to give me a break, it was also only up to the 5 times table anyway...what was her problem?!! (She was the same one who got incensed because I was doing another taboo thing....writing in cursive. Not allowed to learn that until 3rd grade...oooh I am such a baaaad girl) My teacher was nuts, IMO.

And she was not the only one, 3rd grade I kept asking why we were only learning up to the 12 times tables. She asked me what I meant by only up to 12, and I replied what about the 13,14, 15's...she put me in the corner for being a smart-alec trying to make a scene(she also did that when I pointed out her mistake. She said that Pluto was the sevent planet and Uranus was the blue ninth planet! And I did this after the class had left for recess, no one was around). After about 3 minutes of me crying hysterically, she handed me a piece of chalk and says "you think your smarter than everyone else prove it." with that I proceded to write the tables for 13,14,15, and the 20's...she was so upset...even more so, when she got in deep trouble for harassing me and a few other students(all of us could have been advanced between 2 and 4 grade levels)....teachers are crazy at times arent they.. B) !

:lol:

That's aweful!! I do hope she got in big trouble for that... :o

That's aweful!! I do hope she got in big trouble for that... :laugh:

oh, very big trouble! She was severely reprimanded, and was placed to teaching a restricted amount of students... for one year then was back mainstream, matter of fact she taught my sister 2 years after me. She said she was much happier teaching my sister because she did not correct her.

haha! all elementary teachers must be the same. i was never a math wiz but my teachers would punish me for reading the hobbit instead of 50 page books. they still take away my books now, but that is becuase i am in the wrong subject. are education system is made to turn out worker bees, not specilists. by the way, has anybody ever read once an eagle?

haha! all elementary teachers must be the same. i was never a math wiz but my teachers would punish me for reading the hobbit instead of 50 page books. they still take away my books now, but that is becuase i am in the wrong subject. are education system is made to turn out worker bees, not specilists. by the way, has anybody ever read once an eagle?

Havent read that yet, and I agree except for a few teachers they all seem to be the push kids through and make...well, as you stated worker bees.

I was an "A" honor roll student, then my sister came along and expected her to be the same but she gets "A's, B's, and C's" then four years later my brother came along and again they expected him to be the same as me or at least like my sister...well he is a "B"/"C" student(another thing is he's a dyslexic, which they don't usually like to deal with)

Oh I must have missed this topic ;)

I always hated every kind of subjects like physics, chemistry or mathematics... I don't exactly know why but I think I hated them because I have never been good in one of them... The most hated subject for me was definitely mathematics... I hate numbers :o

I still haven't found out what went wrong in my head... ;):bow:

Mrs. Captain Picard

Hmm.....I am wondering if the math haters are primarily American or not. I have been told that the attitude against mathematics was an American phenomenon, and that this attitude was not common in other countries.

I, of course , love mathematics, and the other sciences are pretty interesting also

Biology.

My teacher and me clashed over Darwinism and creationism all the time.

Our student-teacher relationship finally deteriorated so bad,I was cashiered out of her class and given the choice of taking a substitute course that counted as biology credits towards graduation...

(its good to have an aunt who also happens to be your guidance counselor!)

To this day i still occasionally meet up with my old Bio teacher.We still hate each other :lol:

Hmm.....I am wondering if the math haters are primarily American or not. I have been told that the attitude against mathematics was an American phenomenon, and that this attitude was not common in other countries.

I, of course , love mathematics, and the other sciences are pretty interesting also

Oh I can only speak for my country, Germany, but here mathematics are also hated by most of the kids, but there are some who really like it, I must admit (though I don't understand them :bow::bow: )..

It is the most hated subject in every poll which is made about non-favorite school subjects.

Mrs. Captain Picard

I had a bad experience with Physics. Mostly to do with the teacher I had who also doubled as the track and field coach. Basically if you asked him a question about a physics problem he would say something like:

"You don't know how to do that, you're an idiot!"

He would say it in a joking manner so we would laugh and ask him again. He would then respond by saying,

"You know a long time ago when I was in highschool <insert old highschool tale here not having anything to do with physics.>"

So you could say I never really learned physics because there wasn't anyone who taught it to me. Or you could say that I didn't listen carefully to his nostalgic stories to find some hidden answer...I'm sure there wasn't one and he really didn't want to help me. In either case I had a really bad experience, and ended up getting a c+. I was expecting worst, but I think in his own twisted logic he liked me. Which I can't say that about my lab partner who really got burned by that guy a lot. He was a foriegn exchange student and for some reason my teacher had it in for this guy. Thankfully, my partner's dad was a physics professor so he knew most of this stuff already. Helped me out a lot too.

I did fairly well in all subjects,but never enjoyed math.There were times in Jr High and High school that I struggled with math.Its an important subject,but I could have done without it :tear: