Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

What If Paramount One Day Announced "Trek is Over"

What If Trek Was Finished Forever, No New Series or Movies?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What If Trek Was Finished Forever, No New Series or Movies?

• It would be a good thing, Trek was over a long time ago
    • It would be really bad
    • Undecided
    • Other

I was reading the new Sussman interview on Trek Nation and it hit me, what would the world be like for us Trek fans if there never was another Star Trek movie or TV series ever again? I'm not saying that this is what is happening, I just wonder what it would be like if that ever happened. Would there be a mounting number of Trek fans banging on the gates of Paramount demanding a new Trek or have a new company take over? Would most fans not care and be glad it's over?

To me, personally, the thought of never having another new Trek series or movie is horrifying. I really hate the idea that there would be no more Trek period. In this interview, Suss mentions that the end is inevitable. It has lived for almost 40 years, can Trek actually die? It's just something that is hard to grasp. Trek over forever? It's about as hard to take as the idea of that one day there will be no more new episodes of the Simpsons.

I don't know what to think. What are your thoughts about the subject? Like I said, no one said that there won't be any Trek again, I'm just giving a "what if" topic. What if they announced "There will no longer be a Trek television series, nor a new movie, Star Trek is over." How would you react? Like I said, I would be horrified. And that day may come one day. Taking a hiatus is a scary prelude to what it's like with no Trek. CNN has said it themselves, this will be the first time in about 18 years that Trek won't be on TV, as in new episodes. Scary thoughts.

New Sussman interview

http://www.treknation.com/interviews/mike_sussman.shtml

Edited by Gamera

Other.

I'd Be Dissapointed, But It Wouldn't Bother Me That Much. There's enough Trek To Last Us A Long Time.

All Good Things Must Come To An End.

Q - "All Good Things..."

There is no way they can say never. The head of these companys like Paramount go through a revolving door. Leadership changes frequently. The current head of Paramount is not a Trek fan. But most likely in a few years, he might be replaced by someone who loves Trek.

no need to worry about Trek being gone forever, here's a recent interview:

Neither Berman nor Braga believes the "Star Trek" franchise will really end with "These Are the Voyages." They point out that science fiction has never been more popular on TV, with the success of shows such as Sci Fi's "Battlestar Galactica" and USA's "The 4400," and the major networks have a number of sci-fi/fantasy series in the pipeline for next season.

Braga also notes that there was a concerted effort by some devoted fans to save "Enterprise," which "sends a signal that there are people out there who still want 'Star Trek.' "

"The fact that we're going to go two, or three, or four years without a television series - and the fact that the specifics of the next movie are not locked down - in no way means that 'Star Trek' as a franchise is over," maintains Berman.

"You can go anywhere in the world and people know what 'Beam me up, Scotty' means or what a Klingon is. They're not going to go away."

END OF ARTICLE

good news, but what if it ever did finish forever, that is the topic for discussion

It's a very good question Gamera, one I'd very much like to read responses from people whom bashed fans efforts to save ENT but I doubt they'll be comfortable speaking up. :tear:

It would royally suck. Of all the sci-fis; first and foremost I am a Trekker, it is a part of me as much as my living family is (I was a Trekker loooong before I was a family man) and losing it altogether would affect me the same as a family members death would.

Though the losss of ENT cut very deeply the ONLY reason I did not actively engage in hardcore efforts to save ENT is because I do believe Trek will return someday both to the small and large screen but if a total deathblow announcement was made I (and my family) would be on the front lines fighting to [try and] save it to the best our time and resources would allow.

It would be very bad indeed.

Trek is the only science fiction franchise that has an optimistic view of the future. I read an article recently that said that that vision is now more of a cruel joke and that the only believable science fiction begins with survivors sifting through rubble (i.e Battlestar Galactica, Lost). I don't think this is true, if anything an optimistic view of the future is needed as much now as it was back in the 1960s.

If the announcement was ever made, it would have only one good side effect and that would be to polarize the Trek nation.

For me it would be really bad. It is a fear of mine that we have seen the last new Trek with Enterprise. Paramount just doesn't seem interested in Trek anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they said Star Trek is over but I would be very upset about it. I have been a Trek fan for 33 years. It is the one Sci Fi series or movies that really have captured me. I like others such as Star Wars, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica , Alien and others but it is Star Trek that I am passionate about..And always will be..

Trek is abut the story, what mankind has to over come to become better then it is, and that story has helped many people believe that the future for humans might be a good one. For Paramount to say that the want to end that story would be like saying that they don't believe that mankind can make themselves better then they are today. Also, about over a million or so Star Trek fans would crash the internet, destory anything the cause Trek to fall, and nuke the nation with the most people that didn't like Trek.

The end of Trek is a frightening thought. I give you: Stages of Mourning for Trekkies.

Denial: Trekkies think it's all just a dumb joke.

Anger: The hand phaser is invented for the sole purpose of exacting revenge.

Bargining: Trekkies offer their souls to Paramount for some new Trek.

Depression: Trekkies become withdrawn and confide in DS9 DVDs and ice cream.

Acceptance: Wait, no, go back to anger.

It may die in an "official" sense, like Paramount may put an end to it, but it will live on eitehr in fan fiction, simming groups, and even these New Voyages things I've been hearing a lot about lately. Star Trek fans won't let it die out completely.

Now, if it did go away in the official sense, I would be very, very, very sad.

And yeah, there would be outrage from the Trek community if there was no more new Trek ever.

I'm undecided but perhaps more so conflicted. Next year will be Trek's 40th anniversary and we just ended a 18 year long run of trek on the tube not to mention the movie series. As much as I love Trek I do believe that at this point it's very difficult to make anything fresh after so many eps and movies. It seems more than ever that the ptb of Trek are more interested in the bottom line than actually telling a good story and that has had a noticeable effct on the franchise. Mainly their tendency to keep cranking one show out after the other to keep milking the Trek cow. We have around 700 episodes and 10 films to call our own and if all Paramount can do is milk Trek maybe it's time for Trek to ride off into the sunset.