Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Where's Vulcan?

Okay, I know where Wolf 359 is, I know where Alpha Centauris A and B are, and Proxima Centauri, but my question is, what star does Vulcan orbit around? The following is a list of all stars known to be within 27 LY of Earth.

Alpha Centauri A

Alpha Centauri B

Proxima Centauri

Sirius A and B

Procyon A and B

LHS 1565

DX Cancri

Wolf 359

Ross 128

Bernard's Star

Lalande 21185

Struve 2398 A and B

Ross 154

Epsilon Eridani

Tau Ceti

UV Ceti and Luyten 726-8A

Groombridge 34 A and B

Ross 248

Lacaille 9352

EZ Aquarii A, B and C (Yes, a three-star system!)

Epsilon Indi

61 Cygni A and B

now, most of these probably have a habitable zone. a few are binari systems, with one Trinari. Procyon, Tau Ceti, and maybe Alpha Centauri A or B could support life, as all are just about the same size as our sun. Sirius MIGHT, but any planet in the habitable zone would be wracked by gravity because of the closeness of the Alpha and Bravo stars. But where in the Galaxy is Vulcan? Is it around one of these local stars? Is it farther than 27 LY away? Where is it!?

From what I can make out in my Star Trek Star Charts (non-canon), Vulcan is approximately 25 light years from Earth in the Beta Quadrant.

Name of Primary: 40 Eridani A (Omicron 2 Ceti)

Type: Trinary

Spectral Class: K1V

Absolute Magnitude: 6.0

Number of Planets: 3

Inhabited Planets: 1

Hope that helps.

K1V? That's possible, and it is confirmed that there are planets orbiting it. What's probably likely is if it is in that system, Vulcan is actually a moon of one of the Giants orbiting 40 Erindi A, and is warmed by the heat put out by the Giant, as well as the star. Remember, Jupiter keeps Io and Europa warm enough that both of them DO have liquid water, so this is probably more likely than Vulcan being a solitary planet. However, there is a Habitable zone around 40 E A, and it's distance would put it about the same distance from 40 E A as Mercury, which could explain Vulcan being a High-Gravity, desert world.