Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Johnny Got His Gun

I’m starting to read a pretty good book and I would recommend it to everyone. I have read it a few years ago, but I decided to read it again. It’s a classic so probably many of you have read it. It is called “Johnny Got His Gun”. No, it is not an uplifting book. However, it does show you the reality of wars and what they can do.

(Beware that there are spoilers, but even if you decide to read it in the future this won’t really spoil it)

The protagonist Joe Bonham was fighting in WWI. A shell exploded by him and then he was completely paralyzed. Not just that, but more. He not only lost both of his legs and arms, but he also lost his face. He lost his hearing, his eyes, his nose, and his mouth (teeth, tongue, lips, and so on). So there is basically a very large hole in his head. He has a tube that goes to his lounges then he can breathe and he has a tube that goes down to his stomach. I can’t imagine it. I can’t imagine how the doctors could let him live, but they did.

His brain worked fine. He could think and he could feel vibrations, but that’s it. He just sits there and thinks about his past. He figures out how to keep track of time. He thinks about why we have war and things to that nature. One time he tries to communicate using Morse code with his day nurse, but she does not understand. She thinks that he is having seizures and gives him dope. Later one he gets a new nurse and then she figures out that he might be trying to communicate. So someone comes in that knows Morse code and taps on his head “What do you want?”. Then Joe taps using his head saying that he wants to be put on public display showing the horrors of war. The person goes find out and then comes back saying “What you ask is against regulations”. He goes on, but Joe just ignores him and gets angry. He keeps on tapping “Why? Why? Why? . . .” Then they give him a shot of dope. And that’s the end.

It is a good book. I’m enjoying reading it over again.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I remember this book very well. When I was in high school in the early to mid 70's, it was required reading. The Vietnam war was still going on so this book, for my generation at least, was a call for peace. The author, Dalton Trumbo, I believe, did an exceptional job of portraying the horrors of war, so much so that many people older than me were turned off by it. Remember, this was during a period of time when many young people had no desire to go to war for an unjust cause while many older people called us cowards and scum because we wanted peace instead. Those who advocated war during this time didn't want to be reminded of the price some soldiers would have to pay and instead wanted to glorify battle. This book was very much a radical book even then and some parents in my school wanted it banned because it would undermine the country and turn us all into godless communists with no respect for authority or the government. (Their words not mine.) Dalton was also on the blacklist from the McCarthy era for being a subversive. No doubt he is still considered that by many in congress today. This book should be required reading for all who dare to question blind loyalty to a government no matter who or where you are today and should definetely be read by those who continue to throw our youth in harms way with no intention of ever facing it themselves.