Sign in to follow this  
mrskirk

TV Land awards

I just watched a rerun of the TVLand awards where Star Trek was awarded an award for the series that had the most impact on pop culture. The award was accepted by William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, James Doohan, and Nichelle Nichols.

I was frightened by how old and frail Mr Doohan looked. He could barely talk and had to be helped to the stage by his young wife. I'm afraid we're going to lose another of the original crew of the Enterprise in the near future. Ms Nichols is still the epitome of grace and beauty. I didn't like Mr Shatner's acceptance speech. He referred to the cast members not present only in passing..something along the lines of "those who are not here." Mr Nimoy, as always, picked up the ball Mr Shatner had dropped. He mentioned Walter Koenig and George Takei by name, and dedicated the award to DeForrest Kelley.

Did anyone else see this award show? If so, what were your impressions of the cast members?

jdig posted this in the Shatner slammed thread (I added the emphasis):

Despite his comments, Shatner was this week reunited with many former original cast members at the TV Land Awards, in which Star Trek won the Pop Culture award. He commented, "Here I am winning a Pop Culture Award and I am disconnected with pop culture. Whenever I get on these shows and they ask about pop culture I never know what to say."

The award was for Star Trek not for him personally. Sounds like an ego problem. :blink:

I seem to recall reading that Shatner and Leonard Nimoy didn't get along very well on set. Is that true or did I dream it. I have had weird dreams like that - I think I dreamed they were filming a Voyager tv movie and it seemed so real that I would have sworn I had actually read it somewhere.

I seem to recall reading that Shatner and Leonard Nimoy didn't get along very well on set.  Is that true or did I dream it.  I have had weird dreams like that - I think I dreamed they were filming a Voyager tv movie and it seemed so real that I would have sworn I had actually read it somewhere.

I read an interview with Nimoy and when asked if he stayed in contact with any of the old cast he replied that him and Shatner were good friends and stayed in frequent contact. So they must get along now at least. Weather they got along on the set or not I have no idea...

A lot of people don't seem to think that Voyager will make it to the theater, perhaps a TV movie isn't a bad idea!

You are quite right, Tank. Leonard Nimoy is probably the only original cast member that has anything to do with William Shatner.

I am a voracious reader and have read the autobiographies of Nichelle Nichols and George Takei. I have also read a few "behind the scenes of Star Trek" books. The "minor" cast members (Walter Koenig, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, and James Doohan) liked Mr Shatner well enough at first, but then he began demanding more money and screen time. He started playing the "I am the star" game and suddenly their lines were being deleted to give Mr Shatner more screen time. His demands for more money but a huge strain on an already tight filming budget. His demands and his ego made the other cast members feel like second class citizens. As far as DeForrest Kelley's feelings one way or the other, he never made them public, but that's the kind of man he was.

its too bad to have that kind of attitude, for without the rest of the major, not minor, crew, kirk would have been nothing, they ALL made the show what it wad, and is today. also yeah it does suck to lose another member of the original cast, but maybe SCOTTIE will last a while longer. :wow: