Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

What ONE quality of ENT do you LIKE?

I guess this board is still full of bashing everyday and personally, I too think the series is just mediocure. However, lets lighten up this board with some positivity for the show. It may not be good, but in any show there is a good quality and its not all bad. What, In your opinion is that quality for Enterprise.

-John Billingsly (Phlox) is one of the best actors in all of trek IMO. His episodes such as Vox Sola, Dear Doctor, or The Breach have been consistantly good and he alone can carry the episode. I think he should have been cast as Archer because he knows how to carry a show.

-The First season storylines. I wish they brought back the Tendarans because they were cool, and a common complaint I hear from the Bashers is that this show doesn't produce any consequences for the crew. Last time I checked, after Detained, there were many consequences for archers actions and the Tendarans were one of them. I hope they are brought back. Also, I want to see the Silent Enemy again, as well as more of the Andorian arc. If the andorians are key to the federation, they should be playing a much bigger role, and Cease Fire was a good step

-Last but not least (And this may surprise some of you) the Temperal Cold War. I know I have come on here in the past and bashed this concept for not making any sense. Well after Future Tense, I have actually grown to like it now that we see other players in this conflect. I really hope they don't rush it, and if they are ending it soon, just let it run its course.

I love Phlox! He is just such an intreaguing character, and John Billingsly plays him so wonderfully. And that grin :lol:

And Reeds character, he has such a one track mind (explosions...explosions...explosions...T'Pol...explosions...) and at the same time has a lot of depth to him :rolleyes:

I don't think ENT is mediocre - I think it is above average in production quality most of the time; but it does have some real issues.

What I like most are Trip, Malcolm, Phlox and Archer (now that he's stopped whining).

I loved the episode Civilization and would like to see more one shot visits to planets. Riann was the best female character this series has produced. They could use more of that.

I loved Cease Fire because it was an all round good episode and because Trip got to be smart, not goofy.

I think ENT is a very good show, and definitely about average if you compare actors, John Billingsley, Bakula, Trinneer. I like how the show has evolved and most story arcs are really good, I just hope this new direction doesn't blow it..

I like the way that the ship looks older than TOS era, but still new. I just think it looks a lot more primitive than Kirk's Enterprise. Many might not agree with me, with all of the nice plasma screens everywhere, but I think it is very nicely done. Making the ship look older than Kirk's, but more advanced than something we'd create now must be a very hard task, and I think it's been done wonderfully. No tractor beams, people are terrified of the transporter, no shields, and everything looks a lot less polished. Good job on that front.

Also, I like a lot of the episodes. Enterprise has many interesting stories. "Judgment," "Cogeniter," and "Dead Stop" to name a few.

These characters are also very interesting. There is so much to learn about each one, and I hope they go into more character development in the third season. These are people I'd want to get to know. I like the whole crew. And liking the crew is an essential step in liking the show.

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Enterprise. It has many good qualities.

I love Enterprise. It's my favorite show. My favorite aspect of it is the character relationships. They are the strongest of any series since TOS. I've liked all the other shows, but I haven't been this emotionaly invested for a long time.

I also like the intensity of this show. And I believe that it will continue to ratchet up with the next season. As I have said before, bring on the angst, baby. Let's test these characters to their limits and see what happens.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I believe that the new direction will free the writers to become more creative. In a way TPTB have really boxed themselves in by doing a prequel It limits what the characters can do or know. They other shows didn't have this problem. There was no new technology that couldn't be explored, or species that they couldn't meet. Enterprise has all these built in limitations because of the canon. I really believe that by going into the Expanse they are going to free themselves up to explore lots of strange and even scary things. :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien:

God, I wish it was September. (sigh)

I'll start with the superficial. :rolleyes:

I love the look of the ship. Not so much the exteriour, but the bridge and hallways, etc. It has a very submarine look to it, and at the same time it looks futuristic. The consoles on the bridge look pretty neat. In fact, I like most of the ship sets. Whether or not it looks more futuristic than TOS doesn't really bother me. As a prequel they're kind of in a quandary. They can't make it look too advanced since the 60s show would look relatively low tech, but our vision of what's futuristic has changed a lot since then. Personally, I don't think it looks all that advanced. The submarine look to the interior makes it look rather modern, IMO. If you were to compare it to the look of the TOS era as presented in the movies rather than the series, it looks more like a prequel than if you compare it to the designs made in the 60s.

Hats. I loved that these guys wear hats. At least early on. I've always wanted to see matching hats with some of the uniforms, especially the more formal ones. It's also nice that they're ball caps like would be worn on a modern ship. It's a really nice touch for showing that they're are still some similarities in the way people are between now and then. I've never liked the evolved human nonsense on TNG. While they're not much like that on DS9, and Voyager, there are still some differences in culture. The baseball cap, watching movies, talking about cars, etc all help to bridge the gap between when humans were more like our modern day selves, and the era where they're like they are in modern Trek.

I like quite a few of the cast. My faves are Trip and Malcolm. I like Hoshi, but not so much for her the acting abilities. :lol: Captain Archer is starting to grow on me. He's written too often as PC, and he tends to be...well, a wuss. (He watches water polo for pete's sake. Water polo? Can't he at least watch football or hockey or soccer?) I thought I'd like him more than I do. I've liked Scott Bakula for a long time. In the Expanse, as well as some episodes that have been shown afterward that I missed the first time around, he started to grow on me. I hope that he's written as stronger, and less to pull off cheesy solutions like in Marauders.

Overall, I like quite a few of the Enterprise episodes, and don't like others. Its first two seasons were fairly strong for a Trek series. Most of the complaints about the show as far as the writing goes have been problems since TNG started. Maybe seeing a lot of the same ideas, problems, etc repeated in yet another series have brought them more into the foreground of some viewers. I think it's judged rather harshly considering that modern Trek has always had some problems. Trek is good, but it is by no means perfect. This show could use some improvement, but it's doing fine for me now.

I LOVE THE WHOLE SHOW. ITS GREAT ENTERTAINMENT, AND A GOOD INSIGHT TO STARTREK. WE ALL NEED TO LEARN TO JUST SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE SHOW. after all thats all it is, and any show is, entertainment, the fact that its trek, and really doesnt ruin any of the trek we all already know and love, is even better. LONG LIVE ENTERPRISE B)

I think it's a high quality show. It's the best looking ScI-Fi show on TV at present. Enterprise isn't perfect and it does have problems which are mainly plotholes IMO. On the positive side it has good actors and a lot of room to grow if given the chance.

I'm enjoying Enterprise and look forward to it every week. I like the ship and how the interior is rather like a submarine. I like watching every week and discovering a new part of the ship and realise that it has a touch of the TOS Enterprise eg- T'Pol's science station.

Some episodes like Critical Care/Desert Crossing have the classic Trek touch and I enjoy those episodes. I like the fact that these people are the ground breakers/explorers and will make mistakes and will need to tackle issues head on.

The temporal cold war- just keeps me wondering who is behind it and why....I suppose I'll find out soon.

Last of all and the most important quality is that I like the crew and find them to be an interesting lot. I hope there will be interesting character developments over the seasons.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER ENTERPRISE! :o

I think Enterprise has lots of good qualities,Good storys,great characters,a very cool looking ship.I believe it to have all the good qualities of all the other Star trek shows.

I enjoy ENT very much. It's my 2nd fav TV show I watch. SG-1's my favorite, but that's simply becuase it's been on longer and is more developed. :D

The only changes I'd make to ENT:

1. Less sexuallity

2. Give T'Pol a looser fitting uniform

3. Include the Romulan War durring the final seasons, but shown differently than DS9's Dominion War.

Other than that, there's not much I'd change. :o

1. Less sexuallity

3. Include the Romulan War durring the final seasons, but shown differently than DS9's Dominion War.

I am really enjoying Enterprise as it progresses so I don't think I'd change anything.

1) I don't think Enterprise has more sexuality than any of the other series - if anything I think there is less.

2) I don't have a problem with T'Pol's uniform. T'Pol is one hot Vulcan. I don't think flowing robes would be very efficient on the bridge.

3) I think the Romulan war should be saved for the big screen.

1. Less sexuallity

I am really enjoying Enterprise as it progresses so I don't think I'd change anything.

1) I don't think Enterprise has more sexuality than any of the other series - if anything I think there is less.

2) I don't have a problem with T'Pol's uniform. T'Pol is one hot Vulcan. I don't think flowing robes would be very efficient on the bridge.

Well, the war started in 2156, right? That places it durring ENT's 5th or 6th season. However, if they've never stated the date more than once or twice on screen, then I guess they have freedom to change that. :o

Although I agree that this series is pretty good, it could be so much better. It has many problems, which I won't go into here. As I see it, there is a simple solution to many of these problems, hire some good writers. If this show hired some new writers, it could be perfect.

1. Less sexuallity

I know this is a soap box issue with me but T'Pol's catsuit is about sexism not sexuality. The message is loud and clear - men are valued for their competencies - women for their physical features. Sure they make the character competent but only if she looks good in a body suit first. If that unitard was 1 inch larger in diameter would she have less "character" ?

I'm not suggesting robes - she could wear a uniform without the insignia (like the holographic doctor did) or just normal clothes. For me, the emphasis on her sex-babe image destroys any chance of seeing her as a serious character. I don't think of her as a Vulcan, I think of her as silicon enhanced lifeform with a perpetual pout.

I personally find Star Trek to be a lot more sexist than many other dramas on television today. What annoys me is TPTB to pass themselves off as diverse and inclusive...in other words they're hypocrits. Why don't they just come out and say...hey, we're Baywatch in Space and be done with it? At least we'd have honesty.

I agree that Enterprise so far has had less sexuality than the other shows.As far as T'Pol's catsuit,Star Trek has been dressing woman in reveling sexy clothes since TOS.

There was alot more sex going on at DS9.

1. Less sexuallity

I know this is a soap box issue with me but T'Pol's catsuit is about sexism not sexuality. The message is loud and clear - men are valued for their competencies - women for their physical features. Sure they make the character competent but only if she looks good in a body suit first. If that unitard was 1 inch larger in diameter would she have less "character" ?

I'm not suggesting robes - she could wear a uniform without the insignia (like the holographic doctor did) or just normal clothes. For me, the emphasis on her sex-babe image destroys any chance of seeing her as a serious character. I don't think of her as a Vulcan, I think of her as silicon enhanced lifeform with a perpetual pout.

I personally find Star Trek to be a lot more sexist than many other dramas on television today. What annoys me is TPTB to pass themselves off as diverse and inclusive...in other words they're hypocrits. Why don't they just come out and say...hey, we're Baywatch in Space and be done with it? At least we'd have honesty.

How about putting her in a mini-skirt/TOS uniform. :o

1. Less sexuallity

I'm a feminist myself but I believe that you can be sexy and strong at the same time. If all of the women shown on Trek were dressed in tight, revealing clothing and were bimbos that would be sexist but having a strong woman who is second in command, can whip the *ss of a Klingon, is very intelligent who happens to look great in a catsuit to me that is not sexist.

Takara_Soong Posted on Jun 14 2003, 12:13 PM

I'm a feminist myself but I believe that you can be sexy and strong at the same time. If all of the women shown on Trek were dressed in tight, revealing clothing and were bimbos that would be sexist but having a strong woman who is second in command, can whip the *ss of a Klingon, is very intelligent who happens to look great in a catsuit to me that is not sexist.

I guess it's the double standard that bothers me. There are no male sex-babes. To make it fair next season Trip must be in his underwear every episode.

Takara_Soong Posted on Jun 14 2003, 12:13 PM

I guess it's the double standard that bothers me. There are no male sex-babes. To make it fair next season Trip must be in his underwear every episode.

Now that sounds good to me! :o

In TOS Capt.Kirk was always getting his shirt ripped off of him in fights.And you get to see a mostly nude Jean-Luc Picard in the episode "Chain of Command",there are other examples so I would say the ladies have had some male eye candy over the years as well.

I don't think ENT is mediocre - I think it is above average in production quality most of the time; but it does have some real issues.

What I like most are Trip, Malcolm, Phlox and Archer (now that he's stopped whining). 

I loved the episode Civilization and would like to see more one shot visits to planets.  Riann was the best female character this series has produced.  They could use more of that.

I loved Cease Fire because it was an all round good episode and because Trip got to be smart, not goofy.

I totally agree with you.

Civilization was one of my favorite episodes also!

I like the Andorian episodes and want to see more along the arc of the formation of the UFP.

I also like the Temporal Cold War arc and want to see more of it--but not to the point B & B carried the Dominion War in DS9. That was a bit much.

I love Trip. Being a Southerner my self, he has a special place in my heart. (I also love Bones in TOS.) Besides, Connor Trinneer is one of the best actors on the show, along with Billingsley. Those two carry many an episode.

Archer has made some improvements this season and is a bit less cardboard. I still want to see the character strenghtened and become more 3 dimensional.

What I like most about the series is that we are taken back to the original, underlying aspect of Starfleet--EXPLORATION--and the excitement/wonder of "exploring strange new worlds...seeking out new life and new civilizations...boldly going where no one has gone before!"