Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

What made TOS movies so good

When TOS went off screen, a very popular show had been cancelled. There was still an appetite for it in a big way. People watched re-runs of Star Trek as that was all they had. When the first movie was released, it was very successful. Why? Because the majority of Americans loved Star Trek. Kirk and Spock were cult figures and expressions like ''Beam me up Scotty'' became infamous. The few episodes that existed were enough to keep this cult status alive. The 79 movie was something you had to see. New images of the Enterprise and those cult figures were great. Then came Star Trek 2. The public loved this. They werent bored with Star Trek cause this was still rae and new. The films were all rare and new. Like giant episodes you got to see once every two or three yeras. Then TNG came along. This too was new and built on the cult success of TOS. DS9 and Voyager flooded the market though. Too much trek! Too many characters. All too similar for the commercial viewer. Films of Star Trek too were now becoming too much. Oh them again! What now. I feel that this abundance of Trek has even engulfed the Original Series which still clings to its cult status as much as it can amidst the stigma of Voyager and co. No one wants to go see people on a screen that they see ebery day in re-runs.

you make a VERY GOOD POINT there, i wonder just when it was that feelings shifted though. i guess im just biased but i really dont think voyager was a good addition to the trek family, and i'll bet if that wasnt around, and its been so many years between DS9 and ENTERPRISE, that it would of been better that way. but hindsight is always 20/20. so its gonna take all of us trek lovers to keep it alive. if they would just make the movies a little more commercial so the average movie lover would want to see them, they would probably be much better off. i think if they worked at it a little bit they could come up some where in the middle where we as trekkies would still enjoy the movies, and the average movie lover would enjoy it too. but like i said in another post somewhere, i think if people would get over the stereotype they would love the movies, as movies. my friend just watched nemesis at my house the other day, and to his SUPRISE he really liked it, his big thing was oh boy star trek, which i didnt understand because he loves movies, likes sci-fi, and action, so i feel that if people get over the star trek stigma, that they would enjoy the movies.

When TOS went off screen, a very popular show had been cancelled. There was still an appetite for it in a big way. People watched re-runs of Star Trek as that was all they had. When the first movie was released, it was very successful. Why? Because the majority of Americans loved Star Trek.

That is also the reason the TOS movies were more enjoyable to attend. From 1979-1986 there was no other Trek. The movies were the only way to see brand new adventures of Captain Kirk and crew. When the movies were finally released, you couldn't get near a ticket for the first week or so it spent in theaters without pre-ordering. The whole atmosphere was much more fun, because the crowd was much more "into it." I remember applause throughout the theater the first time Spock appeared on screen during The Motion Picture. Hoots, hollers, and cheers during the battle between Reliant and Enterprise in The Wrath of Khan, especially after Kirk's famous line.."It's coming through now Khan....here it comes....FIRE!" Every movie was like a Trek party!!