Genetically Modified Foods

Are You Happy Eating GM Foods  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Happy Eating GM Foods

• Yes
    • No
    • Waiting For More Info

Go ahead and give us your opinions on this matter

You don't know what is going to happen 30 years down the track. Think of the hundreds of examples that have proved to be hazardous to humans despite their original promises of benefitting mankind.

We should be allowed to make up our own minds whether we eat them or not, so everything should be labelled if it contains GM ingredients.

And I don't think Governments should have the power say yes, or no to GM food for the rest of society.

What makes me really angry is that Monsanto are trying to get sterile seeds into 3rd world countries. This means that some poor farmer instead of having seeds collected for next year from his current crop, will have to purchase them again from Monsanto. This will happpen year after year.

Testing just isn't controlled enough e.g... there was tinkering done in our Country with Salmon and they mutated, and they weren't right sure that some of them hadn't escaped.

Another thing I have to say is...

If I were a farmer who wanted to grow organic corn etc, and had lots of customers for the product, and the farmer in the next field started growing genetically engineered corn, his crop would most likely contaminate mine. Not only would I lose my customers, I would have Monsanto knocking on my door wanting payment.

Provided they have been thoroughly tested - I am perfectly fine with - and in some cases would prefer GM foods.

Provided they have been thoroughly tested - I am perfectly fine with - and in some cases would prefer GM foods.

Agreed :)

I am concerned about containment particularly when they start producing medicinal plants. I am not sure how they plan to keep these foods from mixing in the general population

Now the issue of Monsanto controlling our food supply is truly frightening. They create new varieties for which they seek patents. That would mean if you saved your seeds from one season's crop and used them next year you'd owe them a royalty - although hybrids don't produce usable seeds anyway. So you still have to buy from them each year.

Another danger of mass produced farming is that our food supply becomes less diverse and more vulnerable to disease.

And is there anyone out there who thinks Monsanto grown tomatoes taste as good as the ones you grow in your back yard?

Recommendations for further reading

The Garden of Unearthly Delights (book), provides interesting look at Monsanto among other developments in mass farming.

Seeds of Change, a company that provides heirloom seeds

Not suer as of yet...but some of these situatios are rather frightening...

A research group had used growth hormones on pigs, and since it worked so well they tried it on corn crops. Now neither the pigs, nor that corn was supposed to go to market...but somehow it did. Well, this hormone was hazardous to people...

I remember my mom warning me about this, since some of tghat corn went to making the tortillas at Taco Bell(a small shipment, but I avoided eating anything that had corn for about three weeks, Taco Bell and everywhere else, to be on the safe side). It has since been cleared up and the reasearch team was either fined or jailed....but this stuff just stinks, you never know who has messed with your foods.

I voted: No

I don't think we should be tamperring with genetics, especially in food. How do we know what effect the genetically alterred food will have on our own genetics in the long run? We're talking messing with nature, the most distructive force on the planet.

If they wanna make GM food, that's fine by me, as long as it's labeled "GM Food", so I can avoid buying it. :lol:

Well genetically altered food can be ok to a certain perspective, but history shows that most business will only make that apple a brighter red, larger, and have more flavor . . . . the businesses would not focus on making sure that all the vitamins are all up to standard. That would only be secondary to them and I think that fact should be in consideration.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com