Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What is your favorite drama on TV?

Greetings, all! :)

I know we're mostly sci-fi fans and all, but who here watches dramas as well? Do you have a favorite, perhaps more than one favorite?

I have just one. :)

EVERWOOD

It airs Monday nights at 8:00 pm on the WB. B)

I recently became a big ER fan and I was always impressed with what's done on the West Wing. Mainly because each character says a million words per minute and it kind of reminds me how old film noir dialogue worked.

Law & Order franchise.

Anyone watch Oz? It's so weird to see so many of the actors from Law & Order in completely different roles. Chris Meloni - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit cop - Oz inmate; B.D. Wong - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit forensic psychiatrist - Oz priest; J.K. Simmons - Law & Order pyschiatrist - Oz inmate

What is OZ?

OZ is a drama on HBO(on cable which you don't have), it is about prison life.

Prison life? :) How depressing! So, what's the premise? Is it some innocent man who went to prison and is touching the lives of the "bad people" inside or something?

What is OZ?

Prison life? :) How depressing! So, what's the premise? Is it some innocent man who went to prison and is touching the lives of the "bad people" inside or something?

I watched it for a while, and it's very violent :)

What is OZ?

I watched it for a while, and it's very violent :)

It's about the Lives of the Prisoners and the people that work at the prison and how they co-exist with eachother.

Guest Ktrek

As far as Dramas go my favorite for some time has been JAG. It has just the right mixture of drama, action,comedy and suspense as well as two very good looking stars. However, Captain Jean-Luc Picard convinced me into giving Everwood a try so I found all the episodes for last season to download and have been watching the series. It is one of the best dramas in years! Even though the target audience may be for teen to college age; I being 47 have found it enjoyable. It reminds me and has the feel of the old show "The Waltons" but in a modern setting with beautiful scenery. It's very heartwarming and touching. It deals with real life issues and always has a moral message. Honesty at no matter what cost to yourself is emphasised. Why ANYONE who has teenagers living at home does not watch this show with them is beyond me! It would be an excellent tool as a springboard for family discussions about things that are important in life. Not only important to adults but kids as well. The cast is perfectly balanced. You have the middle aged single father, the rebellious teenage son, the adorable preteen daughter, a caring neighbor, an older couple who are the grandparent images, a foil who provides great comic relief to serious subject matters. This is by far one of the best shows out there. Give it a chance! If anyone can get through the first 8 episodes and is not hooked then there is something wrong. IMHO. Anyone interested in downloading episodes to see what the rave is all about can contact me by PM. Have a good one!! :)

Ktrek

Guest Ktrek

I'm not sure the above link would answer your question to your satisfaction. The premise of Everwood is this:

Click for Spoiler:

A New York, workaholic, brain surgeon named Andy Brown, is too busy to spend time with his family. In the pilot episode he is supposed to pick up his wife for an important party they are attending. He's stuck at the office and she decides to go without him. On the way she is killed in a car accident. Doctor Brown is devastated! He leaves his successful practice in New York to move to Everwood Colorado because of a conversation he had with his wife years ago. She said that if anything was to ever happen to her to take the kids and move to Everwood. It was the most beautiful place she had ever been. In his grief he moves the family. The teenage son doesn't want to be there. The daughter is a trooper and can settle in anywhere. He starts a country doctors practice and offers his services for free. The dynamics of the show center around the following relationships:

1. Doc Brown and his rebellious teenage son Ephram.

2. Ephram and a girl, Amy Abbott, he met who he falls in love with but she is in love with her longtime boyfriend who is in a coma due to a car accident.

3. Doc and his only competitor, another doctor whose clinic is just across the street.

4. Doc and his female neighbor whose husband is always gone and they develop a close relationship. Not THAT close, at least not yet.

5. An older couple, the Harpers, who are interracially married, she being Doc's nurse and also the mother of the competitive doctor.

There are other relationships that come into the mix but these are the primary ones. These relationships are the vehicle by which the writer deals with life issues, such as abortion, honesty, integrity, death, grief, love, ethics, trust etc.

As I said in a previous post, the show can act as a springboard for opening up discussions with your own teenage children. I would say that teens to college aged would enjoy the show the most, as that is more the target age group, but I think that anyone who gave the show a shot would find it quite enjoyable. It is a very moving show and heartwarming in much the same way that “The Walton’s” was.

Hope this helps!

Ktrek