Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Straczynski Wants To Reboot Trek

Straczynski Wants To Reboot Trek

Inspired by a recent SCI FI Wire poll, Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski posted a message to a newsgroup urging fans to write to Paramount, owner of the rights to the Star Trek franchise, in support of a new Trek series that he and Bryce Zabel (Dark Skies) developed last year. (continued in spoiler or click link above)

Click For Spoiler

The people at Sci-Fi are using the results of a very badly worded poll for their own benefit. There wasn't even an option regarding keeping Enterprise going in that poll.

From article in AE's post:

Straczynski said that he and Zabel share an affection for the original Star Trek series, and a disappointment in the later iterations of the series.

So he's saying they didn't like TNG, DS9, Voyager or Enterprise. Do you really want someone like that in charge of a new series? I don't.

No offense, but it seems like people are grasping at straws and trying to use anyone to boost their cause of keeping Enterprise alive... hmm :dude:

This appears to be moot anyway.

From TrekWeb.com:

UPDATE : Straczynski just posted another message, which follows :

"Actually...belay everything I just said.

In the 24 hours between the time I composed the prior note, and sent it, and it made its way through the moderation software, two things happened:

1) I heard from a trusted source that Paramount is giving the Trek TV world a rest for maybe one to two years, depending on circumstances, no matter who would come along to run it. So it's not right to have folks putting in time doing something that ultimately would be pointless, I don't think that's a proper use of anybody's time.

2) At the same time as the above, an offer came in to run a new TV series for fall of '06, and since there's no way anything Trek can happen in the interim, I've said yes (now we have to negotiate the deal, but that should be fairly straightforward).

So on two counts, the whole thing is kind of moot.

We can reconvene a year or two down the road to see where this takes us, but in the interim...my apologies for waking everybody up in the middle of the night.

As you were.

Thanks and with great chagrinedness --

jms

I don't like the sound of this.

It seems like he would be ignoring the majority of the Star Trek universe. If he could return to the roots of Star Trek and still acknowledge the rest of the universe, including Enterprise, I might give it a shot.

I also get the impression that Straczynski is a bit of a control freak. He wrote an entire season of B5 by himself and no actor was allowed to ad lib a line without formal approval.

Even if they didn't like everything after TOS, there

s no way they could ignore everything else. For instance, they couldn't create a story that incorporated Federation technology that was suprerior to TNG-era technology, and they could not describe an event that TNG, DS9, or VOY makes known as never having happened. Either way they'd violate canon, which would bring down the wrath of the Trekkies.

i would like see some differant but i think his new new trek serie should put on the air atfer enterprise runs or before if we save enterprise . if they bougth series . rick breman needs to go face it he no gene roddenberry the close thing to it the createor of b5 i don't think pramount would let him volate other canon of the prevous series just let try it if fails it would be cancelled alll you know could take place in 31st century.

Edited by amcroja

I would have liked it if an old Trek actor came out and said that they wanted to keep Enterprise going or something new... but I don't think that Stracynski might understand Star Trek and its fans... and without understanding there is failure.

just few enterprise good,people do anything for it think..Oh found out last night by mq his nick if we keep the chat room pack alot for long time they will try get actor or actress as special guess..i just like old treks better this trek music made it..so hope see you in chat..i really just like 3 enterprises best..i like see actor or actress in chat maybe from enterprise or so etc..

post-761-1108864304.jpg

post-761-1108864330.jpg

post-761-1108864345.jpg