Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

A Poem

Soldier

I was that which others did not want to be.

I went where others feared to go, and did what others failed to do.

I asked nothing from those who gave nothing, and reluctantly accepted the thought of eternal lonliness...should I fail.

I have seen the face of terror, felt the stinging cold of fear, and enjoyed the sweet taste of a moments love.

I have cried, pained, and hoped.....but most of all, I have lived times others would say were best forgotten.

At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was.....

A Soldier.

George L. Skypeck - Captain, 1st Cavalry, Viet Nam

That's a good one, here's wriiten about the first gulf war by the Dropkick Murphys

Far Away Coast

- Music: Barton, Lyrics: Casey, McColgan -

Here in the trenches the fist of the Beast For fear of an atmosphere poisened deceased With a gas mask to keep me-from breathing my death It's American soil I hope for at best But the duty I serve can't begin to compare To my ancestors battles and wars throught the years Though the loneliness strikes like an enemy shell I pray for my home but still sit here in hell

chorus: Sail away to a place that's unkown taken away from my friends and my home to a place they call sacred a place I call hell I long for that corner I once knew so well

Go to the grind it's all that I have Work on and on with nothing to show But a graying face in this dying place Thats a lock in my solitude I think of a place on a faraway coast Where friends are dear and there's reason to toast, A cloudy dark images of a Middle East land Comes down and wrecks my hopeful land

chorus: