Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Can someone explain this?

I think "popadom" is a kind of food from India. Not sure exactly what kind, though. Maybe a snack or side dish?

This is what I got concerning the word: “poppadom”...

Click For Spoiler
Pappad is an Indian and Sri Lankan food item. It is known by various other names, including appalam, North Indian pappad, South Indian pappad, poppadom and pappadam.

It is a large circular thin disc made from flour and fried till crisp. It is eaten as a side dish with regional food.

Heh, speaking before thinking is referred to as: “duckspeak”, according to Nineteen Eighty-Four's Newspeak.

post-812-1095566621.gif

Edited by DrWho42

I've never heard the term before. Maybe in England it has some sort of meaning. Kinda like when they call someone a wanker, another English person would be like, "What did you call me?!" but Americans usually said, "Heh heh... You said 'wanker.'"

I dunno.

*** WARNING ***

To illustrate why this term was considered offensive, I have used examples that some may also find offensive. I do not mean to cause any offense. I use these terms simply to illustrate my point in the context of this case.

Click For Spoiler
It was definately a racially motivated term she used towards the Bangladeshi woman.

It refers to an item of food associated with India/Pakistan/Bangladesh.

It's the equiviliant of referring to a Greek as "Mr Kebab" or referring to a Chinese person as "Mrs. Chop Suey".

:laugh:

Edited by The King

:laugh:.....I think its funny...best giggle ive had in while anyway.....

A " poppadom " is an Indian food you serve with curry, well we do here anyway...

I think the right decision was made in light of the fact the woman was working in a place where people went to get relief from racism, among other injustices. her supereiors did not fire the woman for her remark.....they just asked her to attend a class. She was flippant and insensitive in a place where she was supposed to be especially aware and sensitive. Not being flippant was part of her job. Her bosses were trying to get her to understand that. The fact that she chose to leave rather than go to a class was probably the best decision all around.

I think the right decision was made in light of the fact the woman was working in a place where people went to get relief from racism, among other injustices. her supereiors did not fire the woman for her remark.....they just asked her to attend a class. She was flippant and insensitive in a place where she was supposed to be especially aware and sensitive. Not being flippant was part of her job. Her bosses were trying to get her to understand that. The fact that she chose to leave rather than go to a class was probably the best decision all around.

297543[/snapback]

I'm like many others who had no clue what this all referred to but I definitely agree with mj.