Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

M.L.K. Day story

Ken Schram Commentary: Free At Last? Not Really...

January 14, 2005

By Ken Schram

SEATTLE - Monday's a holiday. It marks the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. We'll be hearing a lot about this great civil rights leader over the next few days. What you're not likely to hear is the voice of Dr. King resonating on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1963. You're not likely to be reading that speech in any newspaper either. It's not that broadcasters don't want to air the speech, or that newspapers don't want to publish it. It's that most can't afford to pay what the King family charges for it, or a host of other speeches and photos. To them, it's all about licensing agreements and copyrights. They claim it's to preserve the integrity of Dr. King's legacy. It's really about greed; the kind of greed that prompted the family to allow a digitally-altered version of Dr. King to be used as a corporate pitchman. The kind of greed that keeps Martin Luther King Jr. tucked away until the checkbooks come out. The King family has the legal right to do what it's doing, but the moral obligation to re-think it. There's too much that Martin Luther King Jr. can still teach us. But not if his family sets it up so that he becomes just on more reason for another holiday sale. Free at last? I wish.

Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

What do you think?

Although King's message was good and correct, his motivations are suspect. His real name was Michael King. He used Martin Luther because it sounded cool. He was also a womanizer who constantly cheated on his wife with white prostitutes. He was also involved with organized crime. This is not speculation, these are facts available to anyone who wants to look it up. I prefer to honor King's message but not the man himself.

Although King's message was good and correct, his motivations are suspect. His real name was Michael King. He used Martin Luther because it sounded cool. He was also a womanizer who constantly cheated on his wife with white prostitutes. He was also involved with organized crime. This is not speculation, these are facts available to anyone who wants to look it up. I prefer to honor King's message but not the man himself.

296803[/snapback]

I suppose that his father's real name was Michael King, Sr., because his father had the same name--- Martin Luther King Sr. So who changed his name first, the father or the son, hmmm? The above sounds like propaganda straight from the Grand Dragon's mouth.

As for the alleged infidelity......at least Clinton was accused when he was alive to answer. I leave King's alleged infidelity to his family and his God.

As for men having to be perfect before one celebrates their lives.....I am glad I do not have your attitude. DNA tests have shown that Thomas Jefferson has some descendants by his black slaves

(though not the people who are usually claiming it), and many of the founding fathers were slaveowners, while at the same time they were declaring the rights God gave to all men. That's a bit hypocritical, if you give it just a little thought. Most great leaders also have profound failings.

I still give them the honor due them for their contributions which, in the long run, have made life better for everyone. And I don't have to strain to do it. I thank God for the men who did the great things they did.

Monday I will honor Martin Luther King, Jr.

This is off topic but I have to respond:

The results of the DNA test MJ mentioned did show the group of descendants were indeed descended from a male in Jefferson's line. However, Jefferson has no known male descendant (necessary for a conclusive test) so the DNA tests are inconclusive as to whether he or his nephew was the actual progenitor of this group claiming descendency.

The crucial point is that only those that you have to able to find an article containing details of the test understand a more about science than the average American (which doesn't take much). The headlines certainly omitted a description of the entire study.

As for King's infidelity - I read a question once comparing him to John F. Kennedy - contemporaries in a difficult time in US history, both with allegations about their personal lives, both revered for their leadership. Do the allegations matter if true? Well, one thing for certain it is off topic from the Captain's original post.

Capt_Picard: Where do you draw the line at what becomes "public domain?" Good question. There should be some public domain photo's available though. And I think of the tone of Schram's article was a little too acerbic - he may believe the tight control was about greed but we can't know for sure what the families' motivations are.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I suppose that his father's real name was Michael King, Sr., because his father had the same name--- Martin Luther King Sr. So who changed his name first, the father or the son, hmmm? The above sounds like propaganda straight from the Grand Dragon's mouth.

Actually, his fathers name was indeed Michael King. In 1935, Michael King announced to his congregation that he would henceforth be known as Martin Luther King and that his son would be known as Martin Luther King,Jr.

No propaganda. Just plain fact for anyone who takes the time to look it up. It always good to look up the facts before blurting out stuff. "Grand Dragon's mouth" indeed. Unbelievable

If I knew this was going to happen I wouldn't have posted it. I was just asking if people thought if the faily was doing the right thing. In no way was I trying to discredit M.L.K. Jr. in any way. Just might as well delete this topic.

thank you, capt P - too often, people forget what the word 'discussion' means - if you hadn't brought this up, i wouldn't have known about the unseemly legacy the King family is producing, i wouldn't have learned that DNA tests are only conclusive (pour le lineage) with a male descendant, and i wouldn't have had the pleasure of hearing Martin Luther King and John Kennedy referred to as contemporaries...

i learn so much from you all - one should never discredit themselves for their

opinion, or for a topic one feels is meritable - only through differences can change be procured...

oooh, wasn't that verbose...

thank you for having the nerve to post on a sensitive issue...

any wonder why STF is the best website in NA? :laugh:

Edited by joeybear

No matter what he did in his personal life I still respect the message. We still have a very long road to go to meet that dream. I hope one day we do.

Edited by Odie

thank you, capt P - too often, people forget what the word 'discussion' means - if you hadn't brought this up, i wouldn't have known about the unseemly legacy the King family is producing, i wouldn't have learned that DNA tests are only conclusive (pour le lineage) with a male descendant, and i wouldn't have had the pleasure of hearing Martin Luther King and John Kennedy referred to as contemporaries...

i learn so much from you all - one should never discredit themselves for their

opinion, or for a topic one feels is meritable - only through differences can change be procured...

oooh, wasn't that verbose...

thank you for having the nerve to post on a sensitive issue...

any wonder why STF is the best website in NA? :laugh:

WELL SAID JOEYBEAR!

296969[/snapback]

This thread is being closed by request of Capt. Picard, who started the thread, and regrets that it did not stay on topic.

If people wish to continue this, start a new thread in Kronos on the controversial topics you wish to discuss.