Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Luther (as in Martin)

I rented a film today called "Luther" - I had never heard of it - the movie was released in 2003 but the dvd is in new releases. I quite enjoyed it. It reminded me a bit of "A Man for All Seasons" from the 70's. To be honest I knew Martin Luther was the guy who nailed his list of issues to a church door and was responsible for the rise of Protestantism - but that's about it.

I'm sure this movie contained much literary license but the essential facts were true. He did risk his life rather than recant what he believed to be the truth. I think all of us might wonder at times what we would do if faced with such circumstances. I thought Joseph Fiennes did a great job and presented Luther as a likeable fellow - and obviously quite intelligent. I don't know how true it was but there was a scene suggesting some of the cardinals had hoped he would one day be a pope.

here's a link on indulgences - which was a critical issue of the film

newadvent

I'm guessing the films depiction of indulgences in Luther's time were exaggerated and it presented the Catholic Church of that day as being very political. But the fact that Luther founded a new faith made it already clear he had theological disputes with the Church of that day.

Did anyone else see this or have any thoughts about Luther they would like to share?

The politics of the time had to do with the buying and selling of indulgences. so it sounds right. The politics might be exaggerated, but the topic is correct.