Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Is the Star Trek universe a tolerant universe?

I've often noted how different planets in the Star Trek universe all have the same culture. Klingons are warriors, Ferengi are materialists and Vulcans are pacifist vegetarians. In the sense that all of these worlds work together for common interests you could say it represents diversity. On the other hand is it plausible that the entire population of planet would all share the same beliefs, political ideas, customs and religion? this has always bothered me

I think Enterprise has chinked away some of this concept of the planet uniformity. In Judgment we learned that not all Klingons were warriors (that would be a topic I'd like to see revisited) and they showed us that not all Vulcans were in total agreement yet supposedly by the time of TOS that will be resolved so they'll all be uniform again.

And what does ST say about the future of Earth? Have different cultural, ethnic and religious groups maintained their separate identities or have they ceased to exist and been replaced by a generic human society. In TNG we saw some different colonies that were based on specific Earth cultures such as Native American and Celtic. Did different groups have to form colonies in order to maintain their identities?

In ENT Phlox indicated he had attended a Catholic Mass and a Tibetan prayer indicating there were still religious differences in ENT's time and DS9 suggests that are at least culinary differences in Earth culture with Sisco's dad's restaurant. And Picard's identity as a Frenchman indicates that political boundaries still exist (as does Chekhov's explanations that everything was invented by the Russians :biggrin: )

So do you think ST represents diversity or the total opposite in that it suggests everyone will become "the same"

There are limitations for the writers depending on the storylines as to how a race is portrayed. I've always assumed that each Trek race had a wide range of people since Klingons need doctors, teachers, etc for their people just as much as humans do. There are more instances than you've mentioned that break away from the uniformity you've described. For instance, in the TNG episode Suspicions there was a Ferengi scientist and a Klingon scientist on board the Enterprise. In Unification Part 1 and 2, we met "average" Romulans. In Gambit Part 1 and 2 there was a Vulcan revolutionary. That's just three TNG episodes off the top of my head but I'm sure I could think of some more if I made more of an effort to.

I remember that episode of TNG where Worf killed Duras, and defended his actions by saying that he acted within the boundaries of Klingon law. Yet Picard put a reprimand in his record and chastised him, indicating that every culture reperesented on Enterprise was to subject itself to Federation law.

So even though there may be vast differences among cultural groups, it is not going to be seen in daily life because people are conforming to Federation standards.

I think cultural differences are present but not visible, with a few exceptions such as the incident with Worf and Duras.

And I think what happens in Star Fleet could also happen in the various cultures of other worlds.

Even here we have situations where people restrain personal culture-related preferences in deference to the prevailing culture. For instance in an office there may be 'easy listening ' music playing, while some people who work at the office may prefer hip-hop.

Even here we have situations where people restrain personal culture-related preferences in deference to the prevailing culture. For instance in an office there may be 'easy listening ' music playing, while some people who work at the office may prefer hip-hop.

290853[/snapback]

Or headphones :unsure: