Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Headaches

Do any of you get bad headaches ? What works for you to get rid of them ? I usually don't get them but I have a super bad one now. Seems like it's ever since I had hat gas problem in my home yesterday. I was tempted to buy some Excedrin for it but I've never used that. I just bought some Aleve because that has worked for me in the past..For one thing I should probably turn off the computer and go lie down..

What do you all take for headaches ?

I have had headache problems since I was little.. sometimes a little ibuprofen or naproxin(Tylenol and other acetaminophen based pain relievers will not help, and Excedrin makes me nausious) will be all I need to help it. But often a warm shower and resting where the room is not brightly lit , plus the pain reliever is when it gets worse.

I am on prescription for pain due to a medical condition(not the headaches), so for the past year and a half I take that instead and the ibuprofen is only as a worst case scenario and when I need my prescription refilled.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

You had a gas problem in the house?

Have you aired it out well?

Second, if you up the Aleve dosage amount, anything above 800 mg is considered prescription strength.

I took up yoga 18 months ago, and I find the pose "downward dog" does alot for my sinus headaches.

But for really bad headaches :

One of the absolute best poses for headaches is Viparita Karani - Supported Inverted or Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose. Child's Pose (Mudhasana), especially when you're laying over a bolster, is great, too, and it will help your neck to relax. Spend a few minutes in either of these poses (or both) and then when the tension has begun to ebb, treat yourself to Shavasana with your knees up, or legs supported on a few blankets. If you've taken any painkillers, they'll probably be kicking in about now and you can just let go. (Note: You don't have to wait for a headache to do this mini-Yoga vacation - it's delicious any time!) Remember during all these Asanas to relax your face muscles along with everything else, especially your jaw, behind your eyes and your forehead.

Which is bascially laying with your bum next to the wall, your feet flat on the wall, and your hand flat on the floor next to your hips, and then you slowly raise/walk your feet up the wall. If you're strong enough, bring your feet off the wall and stay in this position as long as you can. It's important not to move your neck around while doing this.

Shavasana is a relaxion/meditation.

Child's pose is your knees and legs under you, your head on the floor and hands next to your body, it's a safe restorative post.

If any of these ideas appeal to you, search the net for some sites that explain these moves to you in a way that is easiest for you to understand.

Good luck!!!

Feel better soon! :biggrin:

Edited by italiangirl

Those are some interesting exercises italiangirl..Thanks, I'm going to give them a try..Yes, my home has been completely aired out since the problem yesterday..In fact, I am feeling a little better. My solution was to take some Aleve and go lay down in a darkened room for a while..My headache is just a dull ache now..

Those are some interesting exercises italiangirl..Thanks, I'm going to give them a try..Yes, my home has been completely aired out since the problem yesterday..In fact, I am feeling a little better. My solution was to take some Aleve and go lay down in a darkened room for a while..My headache is just a dull ache now..

290265[/snapback]

Sounds like you might have had a migrane! :biggrin: Ouch.

You're welcome.

Edited by italiangirl

All the advise is very good, but remember drink water. When I have a migrane I would take Mortin, tea, and lay down in a dark room for an hour or until headach is gone.

Edited by Odie

I've also heard that taking a hot steamy shower then getting out and putting an ice pack on your neck is a treatment for migraines and are headaches because it affects the blood vessels which are the root of headaches.

But like VBG missing a meal gives me a headache - which requires food and a nap.

And going too long without water can also cause headaches.

What usually works for me is 2 Excedrine and a cup of coffee.Then I put on some relaxing music and take a nap in a cool, dark room. Unfortunately the last part isn't too practical at work. :biggrin:

My friend who has migraines regularly gave me Excedrin migraine, which has worked every single time for me. I ususally only have to take one dose.

I read the ingredients of Excedrin Migraine and compared to regular Excedrin - they are the same. :biggrin: So I take two generic aspirin and two generic acetaminophin which are the same thing (minus the caffeine)and much cheaper.

Read on how much caffine that is in Excedrin Migraine has and compare it the regular Excedrin. I stop taking it and started drink hot tea or coffee. It does does the samething, but cheaper.

Caffine helps great deal with a migraine. That is why Excedrin Migraine works everytime. Its the caffine that brings the blood vessels back to the normal heart beat of the person.

Edited by Odie

Read on how much caffine that is in Excedrin Migraine has and compare it the regular Excedrin.  I stop taking it and started drink hot tea or coffee.  It does does the samething, but cheaper.

Caffine helps great deal with a migraine.  That is why Excedrin Migraine works everytime.  Its the caffine that brings the blood vessels back to the normal heart beat of the person.

290388[/snapback]

Hmmmm...I might try a cup of coffee next time.

If I go too long without eating I get them, the only thing that helps is laying in a dark, cool and quiet room.
Same here, but in my case eating even a small snack will help alleviate some of the pain.

The excercises mentioned in italiangirl's post seem like a good idea too.. they kind of remind me of similar stretches we did in gymnastics. Especially the walking the feet up the wall one.