Sign in to follow this  
mj

What do you wish the ST writers had not done?

Excluding the entire series Enterprise, and excluding Data's death in Nemesis, is there a detail here or there that you wish the writers of Star Trek had done differently?

For example, I recently again saw the wonderful episode of TNG, 'Family.' It end's with Picard's nephew Rene dreaming about the stars and travelling among them. It was a wonderful ending, and seemed to be foreshadowing another Picard in space, and also showing youth inspired by heroes. Then in Generations we learn that both Robert, Picard's brother, and Rene are killed.

I wish the writers of Star Trek had let Rene live, so there could be some future reference to his going to the academy, and joining Star Fleet.

The only affect Rene's being alive might have had would be that Picard would have been a little less desparately 'alone' in Nemesis. He still would have been interested his own clone, even if he were not the only male Picard left. And he would not inherit the vineyard ( I am thinking about the TNG episode 'All Good Things')...Rene would have. But if Rene were busy in Star Fleet, he would have no qualms about his uncle eventually retiring there.

I think they should have left Rene alive.

They shouldn't have killed off Ambassador K'Ehyler. She was one of the strongest female characters ST has had - even though she only had two guest appearances. While the actress has surfaces in several personna I think K'Ehlyer could have been a great recurring cast member.

MJ, I'll have to disagree with you. While it is tragic that Rene died, it brings to the viewers a sense of mortality for the crew. I mean, how many main crew members in Star Trek history died? Spock died, but he came back. Tasha Yar died, but she was only around for one season. Data died, but chances are he'll return.

While Rene wasn't a crew member, he was a relative of Picard. We got to see Picard's grief, which is a reminder to us, the viewers, that not everything is perfect in the world of Trek. And we saw Picard's grief, which is a reminder that while he is a great man, he's only mortal. He has weaknesses, just like the rest of us. Through the death of his nephew, he has become more mortal... more like us.

As for the original question, I'm not sure. I can't think of anything at this time that I didn't like. Except for the fact that there needs to be more ugly races. Almost everything we see is aesthically pleasing. That's ridiculuos! There needs to be ugly characters that need to overcome problems. There need to be more characters that are like us. Some ugly, some beautiful, some in between, but all with our own personal issues.

Seems to me that the Ferengi are very much like we are now. Capitalistic, sexist, yet at the same time on the verge of major social changes... They're not very attractive, but they aren't ugly.

Three words:

Shades of Grey

290227[/snapback]

* :yes: in agreement* Or two words: "Spock's Brain"

I kinda wanted to see Lal as a recurring character, I know that her death was a pivotal scene and in a way furthered Data's growth as a person...but I liked her and wanted to see her essentially grow up. I know others may not agree with it, but it is one instance of things I would have liked to have seen happen differently

Three words:

Shades of Grey

290227[/snapback]

What does that have anything to do with it? That was about an alien plant that intorduces a neuro-toxic to kill it's prey. It can be compared to Venus Flytraps.

Three words:

Shades of Grey

290227[/snapback]

What does that have anything to do with it? That was about an alien plant that intorduces a neuro-toxic to kill it's prey. It can be compared to Venus Flytraps.

290237[/snapback]

ussacclaim was responding to the topics question: What do you wish the ST writers had not done? Shades of Gray is his response.

Seems to me that the Ferengi are very much like we are now. Capitalistic, sexist, yet at the same time on the verge of major social changes... They're not very attractive, but they aren't ugly.

290225[/snapback]

You're missing how you are viewing ugly. In part of you post you refer to beauty and aesthetically pleasing and then you talk about behaviours.

Physically speaking, to most people the Ferengi are not aesthetically pleasing. The same could be said about Remans, the Pakleds, the Anticans, the Selay, the Benzites, Antidian, Nausicans and the list goes on. I could go on but my daughter is badgering me for a computer turn. lol

I agree about Shades of Grey. That was a bad episode.

I wish we had seen more of Dr. Selar. She was mentioned a number of times but we only saw her in The Schizoid Man.