Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Kirk was a "- poor Captain"?

Okay, if you caught Lost tonight you understand the quote. One of the Islanders was marking a path with a red shirt they were ripping up - then he starting talking about red shirts. He had to explain it to his comrade - and related how the red shirts were always the ones to die. The other guy (a hunter) shook his head and said - sounds like a ---- poor Captain to me.

I had never thought of it that way - I guess he wasn't very good at protecting his redshirts.

Okay, if you caught Lost tonight you understand the quote.  One of the Islanders was marking a path with a red shirt they were ripping up - then he starting talking about red shirts.  He had to explain it to his comrade - and related how the red shirts were always the ones to die.  The other guy (a hunter) shook his head and said - sounds like a ---- poor Captain to me. 

I had never thought of it that way - I guess he wasn't very good at protecting his redshirts.

287895[/snapback]

Although I did not see that episode, I take issue with Kirk not being a good captain merely because he did not - allegedly - "protect " his crewmen. Besides, I don't think any lower-ranking officer would put their own life before the captain. It is a sense of duty, I believe.

Besides, how could the series continue if the star character was killed off? :assimilated:

Edited by jaz4debo

Personally, I thought the scene was funny because it was so unexpected

287908[/snapback]

Just further proof that Trekkies are everywhere.

Kirk may not have been able to protect them but he took each death pretty hard. I think in most cases he really couldn't have done anything.

Every captain has lost crewman, it comes with the territory. Of course, it never makes it any easier for them.

I imagine how Kirk would have to write out all those condolence letters... and inform the family. Tough job.

I'd never actually thought about the condolence messages, he really must have done a lot.

Yes, there are Trekkies everywhere (Thank goodness). Kirk would have done a lot of condolence letters, if it was real. I also wonder If this had been a real military situatution, if it would have been more difficult to recruit and retain security redshirts if they had a high casualty rate, or if there would always be new people ready to volunteer to serve under Kirk? Also, would better sensors or use of a mechanical probe, like those sent through the stargate on SG1, and equipped with tricorders or better sensors, have been able to detect more dangers and thus saved lives? (I know, I'm overthinking this WAY too much)! :rolleyes: