Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

The Norway Class

I believe I've heard a lot of people wondering why First Contact was the only occassion on which we've seen the Norway Class. Well, I found out why on the imdb trivia page for ST:FC:

"The Norway-class starship is seen for the first (and only) time in this film; the CGI "model" of the ship was subsequently lost due to a computer glitch, and so the class never appeared again in any other Trek show or film."

Too bad. It was a fairly decent design.

So what does this mean? There are no images left anywhere?? :rolleyes:

OK, I just found one.post-897-1102292665.jpg Nice ship. :yes: So what did you mean it was lost?

Edited by Jeanway

There are still images of the ship around, but, if what Jack found is true, the actual CGI model (very complicated 3-D rendering of the entire ship) was lost.

That would be too bad. I liked the ship, sortof. The profile view was VERY nice, but the saucer is a little too bulbous for my taste from a dorsal view.

There are still images of the ship around, but, if what Jack found is true, the actual CGI model (very complicated 3-D rendering of the entire ship) was lost.

That would be too bad. I liked the ship, sortof. The profile view was VERY nice, but the saucer is a little too bulbous for my taste from a dorsal view.

286918[/snapback]

Yeah apparently that's what happened, the CGI model couldn't be recovered. I think the image Jeanway posted is the only one there is. I've never seen any other picture outside of the encyclopedia.

When you think about it, there are plenty of places where one would have turned up, expecially during the Dominion War (all the other first contact designs have turned up once in a while). I suppose it will remain the lost ship of Star Trek unless they resurrect it, which isn't too likely based on the timeframe the franchise is in.

Well, Geeze, then with all the images still around why can't they just have a computer program do another one???? I think it's beautiful just the way it is. I'd buy one :laugh:

Actually, there are quite a few different images of the Norway around, but the majority of them are fan renderings - hence, lower quality. The master CGI is the problem here, but they wouldn't really have any reason to re-create it now. During the end of DS9, sure, but they didn't lose the CGI to the Sovereign and we didn't see a single one of those either (though that was likely a choice made so as to not confuse anyone). It would've been nice, but it just didn't happen :laugh:

Actually, there are quite a few different images of the Norway around, but the majority of them are fan renderings - hence, lower quality. The master CGI is the problem here, but they wouldn't really have any reason to re-create it now. During the end of DS9, sure, but they didn't lose the CGI to the Sovereign and we didn't see a single one of those either (though that was likely a choice made so as to not confuse anyone). It would've been nice, but it just didn't happen :laugh:

287003[/snapback]

Yeah, plus never seeing another Sovereign gives the Enterprise-E a greater importance.

I agree that it would have looked really cool to see a Sovereign class taking out some Jem'Hadar.