Sign in to follow this  
Cougar

Is there money in the 22nd century?

Well, in TOS they had credits in the episode Trouble with Tribbles, in the bar on a Federation space station. The bar owner was going to charge Uhura to purchase a tribbles, so the crew must have had a way of obtaining credits--some kind of salary in credits.

Credits probably are not money, but some kind of future version of a debit account.

So if they did not have money in Archer's time, they probably already had the credit system seen in TOS.

Guest Mike_Hines01

They don't have money in the 22nd Century, they've moved past the aquisition of wealth and stuff. Though, as mj said they probably do have some sort of credit system. If you've seen the episode 'Carpenter Street' the you'll remember that:

Click For Spoiler
Archer and T'Pol had ot steal money from a bank, which to me suggested they don't have money in the 22nd Century.
Edited by Mike_Hines01

Well in the episode acquisition Trip made reference to a bank. So apparently they still need a place to keep their money...I think I heard them reference getting paid as well but I don't remember for sure.

Mike, I'm not sure I understand your post, steel money is still money (didn't mean that to sound funny) or did you mean they had to steal money? It makes sense they wouldn't have any 150 year old money on board the ENT when they went back in time even if they have money in the 22nd century.

They may not have currency but I believe there is some form of "net worth" for lack of a better term.

Also, if there is no form of "wealth" on Earth that's just on Earth. We know other cultures still use some form of currency.

Guest Mike_Hines01
Mike, I'm not sure I understand your post, steel money is still money (didn't mean that to sound funny) or did you mean they had to steal money?

Sorry, didn't see that, I fixed it now.

I don't think it's been spoken of yet but even if they do (have it) surely it's become at least a cashless society by now meaning fund transfers are electronic. Anyone remember seeing cash on the bar in First Flight? :frusty:

I hope ENT doesn't skip over explaining the economics (of Earth) of that time, there's still lots of time to address it and I'm sure they will eventually; it's too important to just leave hanging...

They have some sort of monetary system. They had one in the 23rd century, so fair to say it's still there in the 22nd.