Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Aha - plot inconsistency - I was right

I really dont' think this belongs in a spoiler but just in case. There was a line Trip used that supports one of my complaints about the inconsistency of the writers in developing his background.

Click For Spoiler
Okay, in first season he mentions going to elementary school in Panama City, then in season two he's talking about growing up near the Everglades. And in the Xindi attack off of a sudden he grew up in South or South Central Florida, even pointing out the movie theater etc.

And tonight when T'Pol he asks about his parents - we'll they've moved to Mississippi - not like the old home in Panama City. Okay Panama City wasn't hit by the Xindi weapon but I could see the parents moving anyway I guess but still it's inconsistent. Also they've never mentioned the "brother" he mentioned in Fusion and in another early episode he had a "sister" living in Ireland and a nephew.

Of course Travis's family change from a sister in Fortunate Son to a brother in (Horizon? don't remember) was pretty bad too.

I haven't at all looked into any of these points but as possible "explanations" it's possible that he went to elementary school in Panama City and grew up in the Everglades. I'm not completely "up" on Floridian geography but I know that Panama City's in the Pan Handle which is pretty far from the Everglades which I believe is in the deep southern part of Florida.

As for growing up in South or South Central Florida, that could be consistent with the overall picture that I'm getting in my mind of a family moving every few years as often happens with some families. So it would be possible for him to go to more then 1 elementary school in his "elementary career". I went to 2 during mine, not quite that far apart but I had friends that went to different schools with great distance between them.

In my mind the way it shapes up is like this, and this isn't based on anything other then the points you made about the different references. He was born in southern Florida near the Everglades, his family stayed there for several years of his childhood and then moved north to central Florida and then shortly after that moved further north west into the pan handle to Panama City where he spent the rest of his childhood and teen years.

He joined Starfleet but his parents stayed in Panama City and his sister moved back to central Florida where she was killed in the Xindi attack.

What does all of this mean? Nothing, other then the fact that I can't sleep and am imagining how the childhood of a fictional character developed :frusty:

VBG, I hope you managed to get some sleep. :frusty:

There's logic to your explanation except from what I remember in the Xindi he talked about being older like high school in South Florida.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

His parents could have grown up in Panama city and Trip was born there and went to kindie garten. Then they moved to the everglades where he and his sister and any othe siblings he had went to high school. His parents went back to panama city for their retirement. Then (for whatever reason) decided they wanted to move to mississipi.

This still doesn't explain

Click For Spoiler
why Trip didn't know where on Earth to go since his sister was dead and his home town was gone. SO he went home with T'pol to Vulcan for the wedding

He could have visited his mom and dad in Panama city (or mississipi). Or his other siblings.

Another explanation is that all the time-traveling that's been going on has changed history so Trip doesn't have as many siblings as before and grew up somewhere else. :frusty:

Edited by Essoq

It is possible that people refer to places as being closer in their perspective than we see them in ours due to advances in transportation. Just compare how long it would have taken people to travel from the southern tip of Florida to the northern area by horse or early cars compared to now.

I think the writers goofed - they picked the name of a city in Florida and stuck it in the script.

That scene in precious cargo where he says he grew up in a place a lot like that - it didn't look like Florida. actually looked more like what people tell me parts of Lousiana look like (which if Trip was from Panama City would be closer to where he grew up) but he said something about winds coming in from the Everglades. And while not even Texas can have mosquitoes as big as we grow them here :frusty: all of Florida does not look like a swamp

Click For Spoiler

320x240.jpg

And you can't get much further from Panama City than the Everglades unless you go to Key West. The beaches in the panhandle are even different than the ones in the Atlantic (of the ones I've seen)

Panama City

Click For Spoiler

2-umbies.jpg

Everglades

Click For Spoiler
photo01.jpg

I have only been to Tallehassee (sp?), but it does suggest laziness on the part of the writers to not take the time to get the Florida geography straight. I think even with improvements in travel, it would be impractical to live in one part of the state and go to school at the opposite end. The writers just failed to be careful or consistent.

I have only been to Tallehassee (sp?), but it does suggest laziness on the part of the writers to not take the time to get the Florida geography straight. I think even with improvements in travel, it would be impractical to live in one part of the state and go to school at the opposite end. The writers just failed to be careful or consistent.

280685[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree about the improvements in travel not being a factor. At the time Trip would have been in school there were no transporters because they are still new when Enterprise begins. And I don't think things would be much different in the future then they are now in terms of where a parent sends their kids to school. Sure, there's kids that go to school hundreds of mules from where they live now but that's more of an oddity then the norm.

I too think it's just a writing inconsistency but it's one that could be explained away in hindsight.

Not A big deal most people don't pick up on small things like this Just us Trekies lol.  :sly:

281107[/snapback]

Actually, in this case, just Trekkies who know the geography of Florida. I know where Disney World and Tampa are and other than that...

Here's a map of Florida. Someone that knows Florida better then I do could answer this question, but I notice on this map that around Gainsville it looks like some marshland, is this also considered part of the "Everglades"?

For those not sure what you're looking at, I circled Panama City near the top left. Near the bottom is the Everglades. There's quite a few miles between those 2 areas.

florida.JPG

NO Gainesville is not part of the everglades.  The UF stadium where the gators play is referred to as "the Swamp"

281293[/snapback]

I didn't think it was, but I noticed it on the map and thought maybe my knowledge of Florida was more faulty then I thought it was lol.