Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VaBeachGuy

Our #1 Rule

The #1 rule here at STF.NET that if broken will result in a member being banned is making personal attacks against other members, and it's not a matter of "Free Speech". It's a matter of that's the Rule, everyone agreed to it when they signed up as a member.

If someone posts an attack on another member a Mod will warn the offending member not to do that and will, if necessary edit or delete the offending post. If the offending poster continues post in the same manner then a ban will result.

The reason I am posting this is because the Mods have recently been "informed" by an offending new member that the rules are "non-binding" and not valid.

That opinion is, of course incorrect. By joining this site everyone agrees to abide by our rules, that agreement is in fact binding.

Our TOS clearly states:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this message board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, prejudice towards sex/race/religion, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

But what about the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States ensuring Freedom of Speech?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Well, STARTREKFANS.NET is not now nor has it ever been part of the United States Government. This site is a Membership site. Guests are completely welcome to read what is said, but in order to participate you must become a member. To become a member you must agree to abide by our rules. If you break those rules there are consequences.

who has recently broken this rule? Are you saying that someone has broken it recently?

who has recently broken this rule? Are you saying that someone has broken it recently?

275478[/snapback]

No one that is a regular member has to my knowledge, no. Over the course of the past 2 years though this issue has come up a couple times. This posting (and the couple of other instances of it that I have posted) are really more aimed at future new members that may not understand what the main rule here is.

Basically, if anyone has ever "broken" this rule they already know about it because a Mod has already contacted them about it. It's not a real prevalent problem, but the rule needs to be posted for clarity.

I've already gotten one warning. Hopefully, that'll be it....

275525[/snapback]

With most members who do break a rule, one warning is usually enough. With new members, most times it's a matter of acclimation. Sometimes people come from other boards where flaming someone is the way of life and it can take a little time for the new member to become comfortable. We are very lucky here to have members who know how to discuss and debate ideas without flaming. Almost all people who receive a warning settle in and become great members of our community.

Unfortunately there is always someone who thinks the rules don't apply to them. VBG absolutely HATES to ban anyone from STF however when you have an individual who continues to flame others even after a warning(s), action must be taken otherwise it takes away from the enjoyment of everyone else.

I know Takara. :laugh: As a person who has been "Flamed" by someone repeatedly, I can't tell you how many times I was so upset I had to get off the site for a while and calm down. When I first got here I didn't even know what "Flaming" was. And I thought to myself, how bad can it possibly be, it's just a web-site.

But when you start getting involved with the people on a site you get to know them and think of them as friends. Not like the friends you have in the real world, this is different. It's the same, but it's different. Some of us get even closer and we talk on the phone too. So it is like a REAL community here. We spend time here discussing issues and problems we may be having. Sharing our good times and bad times, playing games and writing stories and most of the time just having alot of fun.

So, IMO, Flaming really has no place here. This site is for the enjoyment and enrichment of it's members. NOT a place to feel threatened or intimidated in. And that's what Insults do. They make a person feel uneasy and uncomfortable. And I don't want that. There is ENOUGH' of that in real life.