Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

Bar Scene in "Home"

This topic contains spoilers. (info about the recently released episode of Enterprise)

In the bar scene in Enterprise's "Home", how did you feel about the parallel between the racism towards Phlox for being an alien and the racism towards middle-easterners for being the same race as Osama Bin Laden?

I thought it was a really intersting way to make a comment on this kind of racism being found in the post 9/11 era. I'm very glad it was addressed as I am definately not a fan of any kind of racism.

I thought it was played too heavy handed. I mentioned this in the review thread. First, perhaps I've been fortunate but I've never known people to act that way so it didn't seem realistic to me.

Second, I don't think it is a good analogy.

Earth had ongoing relationships with Vulcans and Denoblians before the Xindi war and I think the people of the 22nd century could tell the difference between Xindi and Denoblians. As far as I know after 9-11 the harrassment was aimed at persons of Arab descent or those that appeared to be Islamic - not all foreigners - which is where to me the analogy fails.

I understand Star Trek's legacy of addressing relevant social issues and I think they've generally done a good job. But this isn't the first issue where I think ENT was too heavy handed and "preachy". The use of subtle analogy works best for me. (btw, I think there was an epi of DS9 that did an excellent job of addressing the issues of immigration - because they addressed both sides of the issue) I could think of much better ways to address this issue.

One of the problems of post 9-11 racism not addressed by the analogy is that there are terrorists walking among us and plotting to destroy us. The Xindi war is over - the terrorist assault on the US is not. Harrassing people in a bar (or elsewhere) is never acceptable, IMO. But a reasonable amount of caution is necessary if we won't to prevent further attacks. The problem upon which no one agrees is just what is "reasonable" caution.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I don't think there is any similarity at all between the racism displayed in the bar scene and racism displayed just toward middle eastern people. I believe the bar scene displayed an example of racism in general, not toward any specific type of alien.

It was nothing new to Trek, scenes like that have been played before. I wasn't overly impressed with how it played out this time, as TUH said on the review thread it felt a bit contrived; my first impression was the actor did a poor job but perhaps he was giving the director what exactly he wanted...

If racism towards middle-easterners for being the same race as Osama Bin Laden is prevalent here in the States I really don't see it at all, where I am there are many such people leading what appears to be safe and happy lives free from fear from that kind of prejudice.

Hopefully for people whom never seen past Trek episodes dealing with this topic; this one had the same impact for them as I had when I first saw it dealt with long ago on TOS.

I think it had some validity, but from the point of view of addressing the most likely form of racism that would exist during that time period --against aliens. Even though they had been dealing with vulcans for around 100 years, there had to be some people on earth who still opposed the presence of any aliens. The Xindi attack probably spurred them to activity, and to vent their hostility publicly in ways they may not have been bold enough to do, prior to the attack, when all was well.

Click For Spoiler

That scene reminded me alot of The Home Guard from Babylon 5. They were a radical group who attacked aliens on the station. Like several people have said, this concept isn't new to Trek or television in general.

yeah, in the future they still have ignorant fools. :naughty:

who was that racst actor, he seem familiar

Edited by Ace

who was that racst actor, he seem familiar

276185[/snapback]

His name is Joe Chrest

Joe Chrest as Bar Patron #1

I found an online bio of him but it's a foreign language to me. I also found he's done lots of bit parts on TV like Touched by an Angel and some obscure film named 522666 *shrugs*