Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

The other Earth

I don't remember the name of the episode, but The Enterprise encounters another planet which is 100% identical to Earth, except for the fact that all the adults are dead and only the children remain. Kirk said that teachers and other adults would be sent, but whetever happened to this planet? And what was it named? They couldn't call it Earth, of course.

They never mentioned the name, but the name of the TOS episode is: "Miri"..

One of the various Earth-like planets Kirk has come across...

Remember the Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planet Development. :biggrin:

post-812-1096014361.jpgpost-812-1095586641.gif

I just gave it some thought, and I remember seeing a book that lists Federations planets and the people that live on them. I think the planet was named "Onlies" after what the children called themselves.

The books title is: The Cry of the Onlies

The name of the Planet was: Boaco Six --

Click For Spoiler

It's availabe for a very low price all over the net.

No, it wasn't The Cry of the Onlies. This book had nothing to do with any Star Trek crews (unless it was, say Capt. Kirk who discovered it). This book merely listed all planets known to the Federation, the people who live on, their physical characteristics, and how the planet was discovered and/or how first contact was made.

I don't remember what it was called, my mother had it. This was back in '94, so there might be an updated version of it.

The planet in Miri wasn't given a name, not officially anyway.

This is from the official synopsis at ST.COM

The U.S.S. Enterprise answers an old distress signal to find an unnamed planet that is almost an exact duplicate of Earth in the 1960s. A landing party beams down and discovers that 300 years before, the natives of the planet conducted experiments to prolong life, but had instead created a deadly virus. The virus killed all adults by rapid aging and madness. In children, the virus slowed the natural aging process greatly, leaving them in a state of prepubescence for centuries.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/seri...sode/68684.html

I know but it was given a name in the above described book. I consider it canon because the odds of some new story being filmed about it now are astronomical.

I just finished watching the episode. Its in season one second disk. The girl, and most likely the oldest, on the planet was her name. The episode's name was Miri.

I just finished watching the episode.  Its in season one second disk.  The girl, and most likely the oldest, on the planet was her name.  The episode's name was Miri.

271324[/snapback]

She's Kim Darby, she's played in several things over the years. Probably most notably (in my mind anyway) is the John Wayne/Glenn Campbell movie "True Grit".

A couple of the children in the class room where Kirk is attacked are William Shatner's own children if I remember correctly.

No, it wasn't The Cry of the Onlies. This book had nothing to do with any Star Trek crews (unless it was, say Capt. Kirk who discovered it). This book merely listed all planets known to the Federation, the people who live on, their physical characteristics, and how the planet was discovered and/or how first contact was made.

I don't remember what it was called, my mother had it. This was back in '94, so there might be an updated version of it.

270897[/snapback]

Could you be refering to "The Worlds of the Federation" by Shane Johnson?

It was first published in 1989 and has the Federation and native name of each planet as well as drawings of the dominate life form and maps of the planet and its solar system.

270897[/snapback]

Could you be refering to "The Worlds of the Federation" by Shane Johnson?

It was first published in 1989 and has the Federation and native name of each planet as well as drawings of the dominate life form and maps of the planet and its solar system.

271395[/snapback]

That might very well be it, though I could've sworn it had more in it. Then again, it's been 10 years since I've seen it, so my memory might be a little frayed.

He he, I haven't seen this thread in a long time. :hug:

So, about planet Miri... was there ever any good explanation (canon or non-canon) as to how a planet that was completely identical to Earth (except that it's natives basically eradicated themselves in the mid 20th century) exists somewhere else?

In all editions of the ST encyclopedia, they simply refer to it as "Miri's Planet" and add a footnote about how it didn't have a name.

He he, I haven't seen this thread in a long time.  :unsure:

So, about planet Miri... was there ever any good explanation (canon or non-canon) as to how a planet that was completely identical to Earth (except that it's natives basically eradicated themselves in the mid 20th century) exists somewhere else?

334113[/snapback]

None whatsoever as far as I've seen. I think it's a mediocre episode for that reason alone, although I'm sure there are those who disagree with me.