Sign in to follow this  
welfconfed

Ro Laren

Ro wore her Bajoran ear ring in her left ear, but the only Bajorans that did that were the followers of the demonic Pah-Wraith.

Was she the Bajoran equivalent of a devil worshipper?

Might this explain her attitude problems while in Star Fleet?

Edited by welfconfed

Possibly, but it could also be that the Bajorans of that time (in the eyes of the producers) were too undeveloped. Her ear-ring (if memory serves) was the same as most Bajorans, unlike the one's the Pah-Wriath worshippers wore.

And who's to say that the Pah-Wraiths were demonic? Maybe they only had bad intentions toward the Prophets, but otherwise had nothing but good intentions toward the Bajorans. Then again, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

While I agree that the Pah-Wraiths never spelled out their intentions toward the Bajorans, their behavior in the few episodes in which they appeared seems to indicate that they were not that concerned with the well being of the Bajoran people.

True, though they might have been using willing Bajoran "recptacles" ,much in the way they used Dukat, to get back at the Prophets. They might be ruthless, but that does not necessarily mean evil. Of course, I might be completely wrong, and they might want to destroy the Prophets and THEN the Bajorans.

I always thought that Ro Laren had a big chip her shoulders. She has lot of issues to deal with from her childhood.

Well, if you read the "Season 8" books, Ro wears her earring on the wrong ear because A.) she likes the earring and likes being Bajoran but B.) she's the Bajoran equivalent of an agnostic (or maybe an atheist) so she doesn't want to be a hypocrite.

Ro is no worshipper of anything, Prophets or Pah Wraiths. At least according to the novels. (They are excellent ... you guys should check them out.)

Well, if you read the "Season 8" books, Ro wears her earring on the wrong ear because A.) she likes the earring and likes being Bajoran but B.) she's the Bajoran equivalent of an agnostic (or maybe an atheist) so she doesn't want to be a hypocrite.

Ro is no worshipper of anything, Prophets or Pah Wraiths.  At least according to the novels.  (They are excellent ... you guys should check them out.)

270181[/snapback]

I had not considered the novels, but you are quite right, the couple I have read are excellent.

I can't help but to wonder if she also does it for shock value. :biggrin:

I can't help but to wonder if she also does it for shock value. :biggrin:

270255[/snapback]

I can't help but agree with that ... she just likes to make people mad. Plus, she's a real loner and wearing her earring in a way that offends other Bajorans would certainly be a way for her to keep them all at a distance.

True that Ro Laren was somewhat of a lonely character and tended to keep people at a distance but she did grow warmer and more sociable. I don't think she would wear the earpiece in a way that would offend other Bejorans just so she could keep them at a distance.

True that Ro Laren was somewhat of a lonely character and tended to keep people at a distance but she did grow warmer and more sociable. I don't think she would wear the earpiece in a way that would offend other Bejorans just so she could keep them at a distance.

270818[/snapback]

If you are correct, then we are forced to ask the question, why did she wear the ear ring in her left ear.

Even in her last appearance ("Preemptive Strike" TNG Season 7), when DS9 was in its 2nd season and the Bajoran wearing of the ear ring in the right ear was well established, she still wore it in her left ear.

As I said earlier, the only Bajorans we ever saw do this other than Ro were the followers of the Pah-Wraiths.