Sign in to follow this  
Ace

New Season - Bakula Comments

Since the show is a prequel to the original "Star Trek" series, which in turn was followed by three sequels, Coto has promised storylines that will link into the other shows. These range from a green Orion slave girl (played by "Junkyard Mega-Wars" co-host Bobbi Sue Luther), as shown in the original "Star Trek" pilot, to a guest arc with "Star Trek: The Next Generation" star Brent Spiner.

For star Scott Bakula, who plays Enterprise Captain Jonathan Archer, it feels like "Enterprise" has truly found its place in the "Trek" universe and the world at large.

"We've adapted it to what's going on in the world," he says, "and it's been the right thing to do. The initial year and the wanderings that we took in the first year were internal wanderings also. There was a lot to discover and work out.

"Now we have a better idea of what works in this environment, what shows people respond to. There really was a positive all-over response last year. There were things that people took objection to, but I'm always thrilled when people get upset about something."

Ever since the original show in the '60s, "Star Trek" fans generally have been an idealistic lot. Last year's storyline, which had echoes of 9/11 in the way Earth and the Starship Enterprise aggressively took the fight to the enemy after an apparently unprovoked strike, didn't set well with everyone.

While the earlier "Trek" shows were set in a future where Earth had achieved peace and harmony, Bakula stresses that in the time of "Enterprise," humanity still has a ways to go -- and he sees parallels to our present in his show's future (a common theme on all the "Star Trek" shows).

"We're moving there, to the Prime Directive," he says. "We're going there. These things don't happen overnight. You can't skip all the steps that we're in, on our planet right now. Ideally, that's where we need go to, but it's not going to just happen. There's a ton of work that has to go into it. It's work, and it's sacrifice. It's not the United States by itself; it's a global enterprise.

"But that's what has to happen, but it's not going to happen while I'm alive, unfortunately. I wish it would. A lot of good stuff could happen, a lot of great steps could happen. That's what you hope, and that's what we hope on the show, that we can move a lot faster, because we're 150 years ahead of where we are today.

"I can't imagine being an idealistic politician in the world today, that dreams and hopes and has all the best intentions for humanity. I can't image that person surviving without having to make those deals [with the Devil]. You can't get elected without making a bunch of those deals."

Bakula also wants to ensure that Archer visibly bears the psychological scars of the tough choices and hard challenges of last season's war-driven plotline.

"I didn't want them to ignore last year. I didn't want it to be a nice wrap-up, happy endings, and off we go again into the wild blue yonder. I wanted there to be some repercussions. The guy can't go back. He can't be who he was before. He has to be somebody new, somebody more complicated.

"Happily, they're good with that. However that plays out in the course of the season, he can't have gone through what we went through last year, and then just say, 'Everything is fine now, let's go find another planet, hop around and visit people.'"

And while Archer isn't about to settle down into domestic bliss, Bakula feels there may be a little happiness in his future.

"Not long lasting-love," he says, "I don't think that's in the cards for him. I don't think he'll be dating anybody, but he's going to enjoy himself a lot more. He's due."

-www.Zap2it.com

Yep, very encouraging. I love their promise of past events changing Archer, very realistic. Too bad about ENT being too early for the establishment of the PD but I can live with that, it'll happen somewhere sometime...

I like this aspect of realisticness. The UFP does seem a bit "we just went through a very, very tramatic episode, but everything is all fine now!" Thanks for sharing this article, Ace, it was quite interesting.