Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

The most underappreciated guys on the team...

Do you think Offensive Linemen are underappreciated?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Offensive Linemen are underappreciated?

• Yes, They are the backbone of any Offense
    • No, they don't deserve any credit
    • What's an Offensive Lineman?

I've always thought, and some of this comes from playing---and coaching---offensive Line that the men of the O-line don't get the credit they deserve. these men are the backbone of the offensive unit of every team on every level of football. but unlike other possitions, the O-line doesn't accrue stats. what they do do though is protect the Quarterback so he can make a pass, and make holes in the defense for a running back to make his run. and they don't stay at the Line of Scrimage. they block upfield, leveling safeties and linebackers all the way. they are also the smartest people on the team. they have to know who to block on every play. while a Running back or a Wide Reciever has a specific job, no matter what the defense does, an O-linemen's assignment can and often does change depending on the Defense. these people need more credit than they get.

I used to play both offensive and defensive line. On offensive I played Center and Guard. On Defense I played End. Granted that was many years ago, but because of that experience I've always had a great appreciation of the Lines.

As a Defensive End in my best game I had 4 sacks and one tipped ball that was intercepted. When the game was over one of the coaches told me that I was rushing like Reggie White. I can clearly remember before one of my sacks that day one of the opposing coaches screaming at his O-Linemen to "Get 55!!", which was my number and I thought that was SO cool. The opposing coaches were "scared" of me getting close to their QB lol. I was a beast that day! lol

We went on to win the championship to go along with our 8-0 season, I still have the trophy on my dresser.

I believe that O-line is very important. Without it the quarterback would be buried 6 ft if he is lucky. :b-day: There is current camera angle that I like when they show the offensive line on T.V. :b-day:

Edited by Odie