Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Let's Delve deeper into the episode meanings

We always talk about episodes in the literal sense of the term, but Star Trek has always been a thought provoking show that there are episodes that do a great job making you think and really try to wonder what the episode is really about. I propose this thread be about the deeper meanings of the shows. What I ask is that you pick one episode (You can pick more of course) from any series and tell us what you think it means. Delve deeper into it, and really think about what the episode is really all about.

I'll start with one of my all time favorite episodes of any trek series...The Devil in the Dark. In literal terms, the title is probably talking about the Horta, but I have always had the assertion that the title isn't talking about the horta at all. What it's refering to is humanities prejudice not just to the Horta, but to things all around us. The episode starts out with this dark faceless creature and our humanity trying to survive. It ends in a direct opposite, with the Horta just trying to protect her children. This starts a working relationship and a friendship that will last forever. It's such a beautiful story and is really timely today.

Unfortunately I never saw this episode...although it sounds very interesting............

265868[/snapback]

Oh well, do an episode you have seen.

It always surprises me when I see that someone hasn't seen one of the original episodes. I've seen all 79 episodes of TOS so many times I just assume that everyone's seen them all also.

I'm proud to say that I have seen one of the original episodes. But it happened to be The Trouble With Tribbles, and I'm not sure if that one has a deeper meaning to delve into. <_<

I've seen every episode of every Star Trek series from TOS to Enterprise including the Animated Series and all of the movies. I've only read a few of the books though.

We always talk about episodes in the literal sense of the term, but Star Trek has always been a thought provoking show that there are episodes that do a great job making you think and really try to wonder what the episode is really about.  I propose this thread be about the deeper meanings of the shows.  What I ask is that you pick one episode (You can pick more of course) from any series and tell us what you think it means.  Delve deeper into it, and really think about what the episode is really all about.

I'll start with one of my all time favorite episodes of any trek series...The Devil in the Dark.  In literal terms, the title is probably talking about the Horta, but I have always had the assertion that the title isn't talking about the horta at all.  What it's refering to is humanities prejudice not just to the Horta, but to things all around us.  The episode starts out with this dark faceless creature and our humanity trying to survive.  It ends in a direct opposite, with the Horta just trying to protect her children.  This starts a working relationship and a friendship that will last forever.  It's such a beautiful story and is really timely today.

265774[/snapback]

I think you have summed up the episode pretty well.

I think many episodes of each series,including the animated series (tales I have only read and never watched) dealt with our natural human tendency to fear the unknown and anything or anyone strange to us.

It's funny,I want to expand on my thoughts here,but I am too sleepy. :P I cannot think properly.Perhaps tomorrow.

gdog243, I'll try to write something up. The last episode I watch which I could remember was DS9 pilot episodes. It showed Sisko's grief over his wife and how he had to cope bringing up his son all by himself.

As a husband and a father, one of the toughest thing to go though is losing a wife. I think that goes for wife and mother too. Seeing the grief, I think we all fear losing our loved ones and there are times, we just don't know if we can ever go through what Sisko went through. I think the episode talks about how humanity deals with grief and how they recover.

Well, that's what I think. I love my wife very much and I don't ever want to go through what Sisko went though. Its just too painful.