Sign in to follow this  
Spockstellaiter

Kirk

Reading over and thinking on your comments I find it's a complicated issue that's for sure...

I don't think that SCIFI necessarily has dictated who can or can't be brought back and that it must coincide with *real life* . Man can't really fly...but Superman can.

People can't turn into large green angry beings whose clothes rip off because their anger increased their size...but the Hulk can.

I think you're confusing SCI-FI with Fantasy. Not that a mixing of the two in Trek is a bad thing in small doses but [in my experience] most fans want it to remain more grounded in SCI. Here at this site I proposed an idea where-in Trek totally breaks its boundaries and adapt an anything goes direction, I was hung from the yardarm. There's a line people don't want Trek to cross or it becomes a comic book saga in their opinion.

Bionics haven't matured to the point that you see people running a hundred miles an hour or hearing things that shouldn't be audible, ine veryday life..I haven't seen any men turn into flies and no one has gotten a wound injury causing immortality and genius and went to live on another planet...It's SCIFI; you think outside of the box..outside of what is comfortable or known.

Well there's Data (or was :rolleyes: ) His existence wasn't because of supernatural forces, a man built him; he is grounded in SCI-FI not Fantasy.

I don't know of anyone who has left Trek because of the time travel thing.I guess that you do, but I haven't heard of it. I've heard disillusionment over the non adherance to Trek canon. If something changes, it needs to be explained and factored in. Changes can be made , as you cannot have a universe with endless possibilities functioning in a static environment. With the ability to change things, comes the probability that it will happen. If explained well, that's ok....but that hasn't been the case.If time travel were the mode of Kirk's return, though I really don't know , I'm sure that he wrote it well.

At st.com during my first few months on line the TCW was getting a lot of flax as well as the canon issues. Personally I'm with you on this, Kirks return would be fantastic but of late I've become more focused on things Trek should do that would help it's popularity return. With the attitude some fans have these days it seems Trek is living on the edge of being one mistake away from be shut down.

There are a lot of fans who will be really disappointed if his death isn't undone; myself included. If an ancestor of his comes in, I might watch those episodes, out of curiosity ; not out of enthusiasm.Watching out of curiosity, only,isn't how it should be;  that isn't what has sustained Trek. People didn't stop what they were doing , arrange their plans and gather around to watch episodes out of curiosity; it was the magic....and, for me, and for others, curiosity won't be enough. Actually, the return of James T. Kirk won't be enough to sustain it... but I will watch and I will drop everything to do so, as will many others.

And there could be a lot fans disappointed if he does, which is the correct path for the sake of the saga in general?

I agree that the writing must improve ...but the return of a character that was and is loved by the original series fans, James T. Kirk, is not only a gesture but a symbol to those fans that have held out for all of this time;a sign that what had been revered, remains so ; namely, the legend of James T.  Kirk and the magic that came with the mindset that he introduced.

Heron

276955[/snapback]

Many will scream: GIMMICK!

No matter which path they choose someone won't be happy with it. Things are not like they used to be, it has become a war zone with different factions fighting for what they think is best (thankfully not so much here but it is happening.) The answer in my opinion is choosing the path which leads to the least damage for Trek.

I think you're confusing SCI-FI with Fantasy. Not that a mixing of the two in Trek is a bad thing in small doses but [in my experience] most fans want it to remain more grounded in SCI. Here at this site I proposed an idea where-in Trek totally breaks its boundaries and adapt an anything goes direction, I was hung from the yardarm. There's a line people don't want Trek to cross or it becomes a comic book saga in their opinion.

- - - - -

Heron:

Well, I could answer that both ways... I could say, to the notion that I'm confusing SCIFI with fantasy with..." not at all" ; but I could also say " absolutely"; there is a fine line as SCIFI isn't borne from a rigid mind . But , whether or not SCIFI dictates that people must die remains unchanged... it does not.

- - - -

At st.com during my first few months on line the TCW was getting a lot of flax as well as the canon issues. Personally I'm with you on this, Kirks return would be fantastic but of late I've become more focused on things Trek should do that would help it's popularity return. With the attitude some fans have these days it seems Trek is living on the edge of being one mistake away from be shut down.

-- - -

Heron:

I agree, that there will always be someone who isn't happy. Isn't that always the case? Look at the election...or maybe don't :rolleyes: ;point being, that decisions are always made with the * given*adage " you can't please everyone" and that is quite so.

Kirk's removal, though, has taken out an element and similarly to an unbalanced equation, has set things off with an unfamiliar unstable spin. His return would balance something, add something back that original fans have seen as *absent* though integral. Like it or not.... the captain of the USS Enterprise forged that path and like an instinct or perhaps a warm memory, is a beacon back into it for us. He is important enough to many, and the original Trek universe as well, that his return is worth the *risk* B) Risk is our business, you know ...:lol:

- - - - - -

And there could be a lot fans disappointed if he does, which is the correct path for the sake of the saga in general?

- - - -

Heron:

There may be some...but the doubts will remedy. I know that my sentiments are my own, but I also know that they are shared.

- - - - - -

Many will scream: GIMMICK!

- - - -

Heron:

If done poorly, probably; and even if done well. At this point, though, what is worse; risking people saying "Gimmick" or risking that they choose not to watch anymore? And what is that risk, really...? Should the show not continue , at least , the fans who have been with it from the start and find this important to them, in their hearts, will at least have the satisfaction that the man who forged the universe; bringing us with him, will remain as part of those voyages? That's one of those risks worth taking :o That a few fans say "Gimmick" while original fans say "YES!!!!"?? That seems much better than what we have right now , which is "What else is on?"

- - - - - -

The answer in my opinion is choosing the path which leads to the least damage for Trek.[/color]

- - - - -

Heron:

I think that rather than *damage control*...perhaps a bold move is worth it.

Think of Indiana Jones at the precipice. The least damage could have been calculated as him not to have taken that step....What a shame that would have been, eh? B)

:o :o

That's my take on it, anyway :o

Heron

Rick Berman despises the character of Kirk, which is why he was killed off in ST:GEN.

So, as long as he is the head of the franchise, Kirk will never be seen again.

284482[/snapback]

- - - - -

Well, I have heard some people say that, but I've heard him say otherwise, so I don't know where that comes from...

Plus, why look at a star chart when someone says * the galaxy is on Orion's belt*... when Orion doesn't have a belt and there's a cat named Orion right next to you? :look: ( A little MIB humor :frusty::look: Sometimes, it's the *obvious* that's the least obvious... They're negotiating. So,whether someone did or didn't like a character in the past, doesn't matter anymore; the MIB @ Paramount want to don the sunglasses and make those suits look good! :look:

Heron