Sign in to follow this  
Lursa

DS9: Season 1 to 4

Hello all,

Lursa here, And i wanted to talk about DS9 season 1 to 4. I thought that the first season was weak, and of course that was due to lack of funding at the time. You would think that paramount would put some more money into it lol :) :borgqueen: But, if you think about as they contiuded, it got better and better. By the time it got to season four it already was a full-ledged show. Sometimes, I wonder why DS9, out of all the Star Trek series is not well-liked. Personally, it's due to the storyline and the amount of characters to remember. And also later on, Worf from TNG comes bakc and mixes it up even more. The storylines are hard to find sometimes the federation and the Klingons, the dimimon and the Cardassians it never ends lol. Of course, you have all those great love stories Worf and Dax, Keiko and O'Brien, and many others. The fighting sequences were alot better, but i have to admit, babylon 5 was catching up to them it was around the same time. Durning the DS9 time, Star Trek movies were being directed, so it may it hard to keep up with the stories that were presented. In the end, that is what made the run of DS9 so great. It kept you wanting more, pushing the lines or what prime-time could show even showing one of the very few lesiban kisses on tv!!!!!!!!! :) DS9, a show that brought new life to the frontier.

Lursa :)

Very well said!

I think the first season was ok, but the end of the second is what caught my eye...The introduction of the Dominion...Very intriguing...

I think the reason why most people don't like DS9 is because they consider it a 'space-opera', which doesn't make sense because then they are the same people that say DS9 had no story, no character development, etc....

I really don't get some people.

Personally, because everyone talks about the dominion, I find the first 3 seasons to be underrated. Yeah season one was a bit weak, but they had some great shows to introduce the characters like:

Emissary: One of the better pilots

Past Prolouge: Great show to introduce Kira

Captive Pursuit: Meany is such a great actor and I loved the themes

Vortex: Good forshadowing of Odo's story throughout the series

Dramatis Personae: The characters getting to be different roles, but keeping with their own backstories

Battle Lines/Progess: I've always found these episodes going together to make kind of a mini-arc. Kira has to start making peace with herself, and progess was the first step towards that peace.

And then you had the one two punch with Duet and In the Hands of the Prophets. Considering the other first seasons, (Except for Star Trek because I am watching that and it's first season is pretty strong) DS9 had a very strong season.

Season 2 is always a third favorite season of the series for me. We get more into the politics of Bajor with the three part circle trilogy, Cardassians, and The Collaborator. Not only that, but we get the two series maquis story arc in Maquis and Tribunal, not to mention TNG's Journey's End and Preemptive Strike. Than we get to the dominion and that's where the series starts to really become it's own, right in season 2.

Season 3 was a mixed bag, but had many great episodes, such as Defiant, Past Tense, Destiny, Through the Looking Glass and the Improbable Cause/Die is Cast two parter. It just continued the storylines from season 2 and I have no problem with that.

Season four was when the series really couldn't do anything wrong. If Season 2 the series hit it's stride, season 4 was when the series became something special. We get drama, emotion, humor, and more about the dominion with a little bit of klingon to boot.

I guess the main thing I am saying in this post is that DS9 was indeed something special.

Out of the 7 seasons I've always thought season 1 was the "weakest", but I always liked season 1 regardless. The show got stronger and stronger with each season though and really started to run in stride during season 4.

You really almost have to break the series into 3 "mini" series though. Season's 1 to 3 were 1 "series" season's 4 and 5 were a second "series" and season's 6 and 7 were a third "series".

When you tie them all together it makes one awesome TV show.

Season 3 and 4 were a lot better than season 1 and 2.

I think season 1 and 2 were boring!