Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Was Kataan a Human Colony

I was watching a bit of "The Inner Light" today and thinking how much backround we have in trek, not just with TNG but now with Enterprise, was Kataan a human colony that just had a run of bad luck? We know there were human colonies that were formed in ENT's era (Kataan would still be living would it not) and there were definatly some during "Star Trek's" era. Maybe this just goes with the whole why does everyone look so human in trek pet peeve, but Kataan looked too human, much more than any other race we know about.

*sniff* Every time I think about that episode I get so sad.

Ok back!

It's possible but I'm sure that the people of Kataan weren't humans, but with new episodes of Enterprsie coming up we might find out.

No, I don't think so. If you remember Kataan's sun had gone Super Nova about 1000 years before "Inner Light", and that civilization had been there on that planet for a very long time. So for it to be a Human colony would mean that the humans would have had to have left Earth 1500 to 2000 years before that episode.

Ah, but Gary 7 and an episode of Enterprise (I forget which one) both made reference to aliens who abducted humans from Earth's past (by our standards) in order to solve problems the aliens thought would eventually happen.

Who knows? Kataans could have been humans if the aliens made their abductions early enough in Earth's history.

This was from what was written over at ST.com's library

Name for the star in the Silarian sector and one of its six planets that was populated with a technological humanoid culture until it died out 1,000 years ago when the star went nova.

Prior to reading that I had guessed that judging from what I had remembered from the episode. That it was a humanoid society versus a human colony that had moved there

Edited by Yillara_Soong

I agree with VBG. Even if aliens had abducted humans, I don't think they would have put them all together to form a colony. I believe that the Kataans were an alien race who just happen to look human.

I agree. There have been a lot of alien races that look human on Star Trek - Betazoids, El Aurians, the Edo, the Baku, etc.

I agree, they can't realistically be human, since no species that abducted them would just dump them on a planet to form a colony would they? It wouldnt make any sense.