Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

STARTREKFANS.NET FAQ

BOARD FEATURES

In the top right-hand portion of the site you will see icons for many of the boards features.

My Controls

Your control panel is your own private board console. You can change how the board looks and feels as well as your own information from here.

Edit Profile Info

This section allows you to add or edit your contact information and enter some personal information if you choose. All of this information is optional and can be omitted.

Edit Signature

A board 'signature' is very similar to an email signature. This signature is attached to the foot of every message you post unless you choose to check the box that allows you to omit the signature in the message you are posting. You may use BB Code if available and in some cases, pure HTML (if the board administrator allows it).

Edit Avatar Settings

An avatar is a little image that appears under your username when you view a topic or post you authored. If the administrator allows, you may choose from the board gallery, enter a URL to an avatar stored on your server or upload an avatar to use. You may also set the width of the avatar to ensure that it's sized in proportion.

Email Settings

“Hide my email address” allows you to deny the ability for other users to send you an email from the board.

“Send me updates sent by the board administrator” will allow the administrator to include your email address in any mailings they send out - this is used mostly for important updates and community information.

“Include a copy of the post when emailing me from a subscribed topic”, this allows you to have the new post included in any reply to topic notifications.

Board Settings

From this section, you can set your time zone, choose to not see users signatures, avatars and posted images.

You can choose to get a pop up window informing you when you have a new message and hide the long session ID in links (see the 'Cookies' help file for more information on this).

Skins and Languages

If available, you can choose a skin style and language choice. This affects how the board is displayed so you may wish to preview the skin before submitting the form.

Change Email Address

At any time, you can change the email address that is registered to your account. In some cases, you will need to revalidate your account after changing your email address. If this is the case, you will be notified before your email address change is processed.

Change Password

You may change your password from this section. Please note that you will need to know your current password before you can change your password.

Recovering Lost or Forgotten Passwords

Security is a big feature on this board, and to that end, all passwords are encrypted when you register.

This means that we cannot email your password to you, as we hold no record of your 'encrypted' password. You can however, apply to have your password reset.

To do this, click on the Lost Password link found on the log in page.

View Subscriptions

This is where you manage your topic subscriptions. Please see the help file 'Email Notification of new messages' for more information on how to subscribe to topics.

Personal Messenger

Your personal messenger acts much like an email account in that you can send and receive messages and store messages in folders.

Send a new PM

This will allow you to send a message to another member. If you have names in your contact list, you can choose a name from it - or you may choose to enter a name in the relevant form field. This will be automatically filled in if you clicked a 'PM' button on the board (from the member list or a post).

If the administrator allows, you may use BB Code and HTML in your private message. If you choose to check the 'Add a copy of this message to you sent items folder' box, a copy of the message will be saved for you for later reference. If you check the 'Get notified when this message is read' box, you will receive a PM informing you when the message was read for your records.

Contact List

You may add in users names in this section, or edit any saved entries. You can also use this as a ban list, denying the named member the ability to message you.

Names entered in this section will appear in the drop down list when sending a new PM, allowing you to quickly choose the members name when sending a message.

Edit Folders

You may rename, add or remove folders to store messages is, allowing you to organize your messages to your preference. You cannot remove 'Sent Items' or 'Inbox'.

Go to Inbox

Your inbox is where all new messages are sent. Clicking on the message title will show you the message in a similar format to the board topic view. You can also delete or move messages from your inbox.

Archive Messages

If your messenger folders are full and you are unable to receive new messages, you can archive them off. This compiles the messages into a single HTML page or Microsoft © Excel Format. This page is then emailed to your registered email address for your convenience.

Email Notification of New Messages

This board can notify you when a new reply is added to a topic. Many users find this useful to keep up to date on topics without the need to view the board to check for new messages.

To do this, simply click on the 'Track This Topic' link found at the top and bottom of any topic. When you click this link, the topic will be added to your subscriptions that are managed from your control panel.

Please note that to avoid multiple emails being sent to your email address, you will only get notified once per day of new replies.

Viewing Members Profile Information

You can view a members profile at any time by clicking on their name when it is underlined (as a link) or by clicking on their name in a post within a topic.

This will show you their profile page that contains their contact information (if they have entered some) and their 'active stats'.

Logging In and Out

If you have chosen not to remember your log in details in cookies, or you are accessing the board on another computer, you will need to log into the board to access your member profile and post with your registered name.

When you log in, you have the choice to save cookies that will log you in automatically when you return. Do not use this option on a shared computer for security.

You can also choose to hide - this will keep your name from appearing in the active users list.

Logging out is simply a matter of clicking on the 'Log Out' link that is displayed when you are logged in. If you find that you are not logged out, you may need to manually remove your cookies. See the 'Cookies' help file for more information.

Searching Topics and Posts

The search feature is designed to allow you to quickly find topics and posts that contain the keywords you enter. The 'Simple Search' option from the drop down box allows you to enter a single keyword or phrase to search by - the advanced option allows you to join keywords with 'AND', 'OR' to fine tune the search. Using this option will make the search slightly slower. The bottom section of the form allows you to further fine tune the search. You can choose a category to search in, or a forum - or choose all forums to search in. If you enter a name into the 'Search by member name' section, all posts started or replied in by this member are returned.

Trek Chat

STARTREKFANS.NET uses an Moderated Chat room located at CLICK HERE This service is free to members of this site And we do expect all members to be courteous and respectful of others. Chat Features include:

* Private Messaging with other members in the room.

* Page Moderator function

* Ability to modify text size, and color.

What are the rules for the Chat Room?

It is asked that conduct yourself in a manner that is respectful to others just like you would on the boards. Below are a few examples.

* Do not post gibberish.

* Do not attack others in the chat room for their opinion.

* Please keep in mind that some of the users may be underage, so try to keep the conversation appropriate for their presence.

* NO SPAMMING

* Treat others with the same consideration and respect that you would have them treat you.

* If you are having problems with someone in the chat room behaving inappropriately, simply use the ignore feature, and let me or one of the other MODS know about it. So that we can then speak with the person concerning their actions.

Is the chat room moderated?

Yes, this chat room is moderated and individual can be blocked from entering if they do not follow the above rules for the chat room. Also, all chats are logged and can be viewed by room administrators at any time even if they were not present during the chat. Also, please note that room administrators have the ability to log to the chat without being seen by other users in the chat room.

How do I get to the Chat Room?

Click on the chat room link at the top of the STARTREKFANS.NET page and it will take you to the Chat Room, Or CLICK HERE

What do I use as my username to log into the Chat Room?

Enter you STARTREKFANS.NET Username.

What do I use as the password to log into the Chat Room?

The password for the chat room is chat in all lower case letters.

How do I send a message in the Chat Room

To start chatting, Chat messages are displayed in the main chat window. To add to the conversation, type in your message in the text box below the main chat window area and click on 'Send' button or hit the return key on your keyboard. If you are on a Macintosh you will need to hit the Return button on your keyboard. By default your message is sent to all users

How do I send a Private Message to another user in the Chat Room?

You can send a private Message request to any user in a room. To send the request to the visitor, click on the visitor's name from within the user list, and click on the 'Private' button. You can also double click on a user to invoke the private message command. You will see a smaller window pop up and you can chat with the user in that window.

How do I ignore a user in the Chat Room?

You can ignore any visitor in a room. To ignore a user highlight a user's name, from within the chat user list, and then click on the 'Ignore' button. All ignored users will display a strike-thru through their name. You will not see anything the ignored visitor types, and the ignored visitor will be unable to have a private chat with you. To un ignore a visitor, click on the user's name from within the chat user list, and click on the 'Accept' button. You can ignore as many people as you wish.

How do I ignore Private Message Requests?

You can ignore all private messages. When a private message is initiated you can click on the 'Ignore' checkbox and all future private messages will not be seen.

How do I change the Color of messages in the chat room?

Click on the color16.gif button at the bottom of the chat window and select the color that you desire.

How do I italicize the messages that I send in the chat room?

Click on the i16.gif button at the bottom of the chat window.

How do I bold the text of the messages that I send in the chat room?

Click on the b16.gif button at the bottom of the chat window.

How do I insert smilies in the chat room?

Click on the smilebutton16.gif button at the bottom of the chat window and select the smilie you wish to use. Then click on the Send button in the chat window, or click inside the text window and press enter.

What does the

tool16.gif button do?

The 'Control Panel' button envokes the ParaChat Control Panel. The control panel allows you to customize your chat session. The control panel allows you to do thefollowing:

* Users Tab - search for other users

* Color Tab - diplays a list of colors that you can use to change your displayed user name in the main chat window.

* Icons Tab - click on a icon to be displayed in the main chat window.

* Font Tab - local font size, my user font, and window color.

* Settings Tab -

-----Double space text

-----Beep on enter

-----Beep on exit

-----Join/leave message

-----Timestamp messages

-----Heartbeat - set a pulse to stay connected to the chat room

-----Block all private - blocks all private massages

-----Turn off Profile - turns off profile information

-----Page admin (if room admin is present)

* About Tab -

-----ParaChat Server version

-----Your operating system version

-----Your Java version.

How do I page a room administrator if I have a question?

To page the room administrator / operator , open your control panel, click on the Settings tab and then click "Page Room Admin" button. This will notify the admin user that you would like to chat with them. If the admin is not present, you will be given a message notifying you of this fact. If you would like to use keyboard commands, type %page

Commonly Used Chat Abbreviations

BRB - Be Right Back

LOL - Lots of Laughs or Lots of Love

ROFL - Rolling On Floor Laughing

ROFLMAO - Rolling On Floor Laughing My *buttocks* Off

PM - Private Message

BTW - By The Way

IMO - In My Opinion

IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

TMI - Too Much Information

*Thanks to ddillard for preparing the section "What are the Rules of the Chat Room" for the FAQ.