Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Public schools - what is their purpose?

What is the primary purpose of public schools?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is the primary purpose of public schools?

• provide academic instruction
    • provide job training and skills
    • offer values and ethics education
    • offer opportunity to develop social skills
    • offer dating opportunities

Based on responses from other threads I gather most people go for the last two. Which represents a major change from what schools used to be.

Question #1.

Should schools should offer non college bound students more hands on job training and/or skills. At one time there were vocational schools. Some people go on to certificate programs in computer programming or bookkeeping etc. after graduation. Would young people interested in these fields be better off completing these programs in their last two years of school?

Question #2.

Is school the only outlet people have for social interaction? I know people believe this and it is one of the reasons they oppose home schooling. Although many home schooled children have very good social skills in addition to a better academic preparation. (Personally, I'm more a fan of private schools than homeschooling)

It concerns me schools have been called on to offer ethics education - IMO, this means families are failing to do their jobs because children definitely should receive this training at home. One reason they don't often start school until they are four or five and they should be learning "right" and "wrong" before then.

Why is there not a all of thee above option for??

First of all I classify social interactions and dating into one category but thats just me.

I think that public schools elementary through high school, should teach students social skills, abc's and 1,2,3's, some of the fine arts.

As for the non college bound people, yes I think they should be allowed to take more of a hands on skill training classes during their last two years, because most of the people I know that aren't planing to go to college are forced to take electives that do not even fit into their job field, like animal science for a book keeper. I find that wrong what dose rasing large domesticated animals haft to do with book keeping??

And last but not least, ethics education??? What is that?? I am not kidding I don't know what it is. I know of show ring ethics, but please elaborate on what these classes teach and which grade levels or school levels they are primarily offered in.

RK, heres a quote and a link

M E M O R A N D U M                   

TO:      District School Superintendents

SUBJECT:  Character Education

The  1999  Legislature  passed  HB  365,  amending  Section

233.061,  Florida Statutes, addressing required instruction,

to  require that a character development program be provided

in  the  elementary schools, similar to Character  First  or

Character  Counts.  Such programs must be secular in  nature

and  must  stress such character qualities as attentiveness,

patience,  and  initiative.  This legislation  also  amended

Section  233.0612, F.S., addressing authorized  instruction,

to  add ethics to the list of subjects a school district may

teach.

I think the difference between social and dating is that you need social skills to go to job interviews, get along with co-workers, negotiate with service providers and businesses in your daily life etc.

And the question was for the "primary" purpose which is why no all of the above.

When I was in elementary school, junior high and senior high school many years ago, I knew that I was in school to receive an education. And it was obvious that this was the primary focus. Yes, there were some disciplinary problems....but school personnel back then were allowed to handle these problems without what today I see as their hands being tied by a lot of interference....(which I am not going to get into at this point)......There are many kids today who bring to school inside of them so many issues that are not related to classroom learning. So, schools today are forced to try to deal with drug issues; very serious, emotional and behavioral disturbances; gang issues, abuse and neglect issues; immigration issues; etc.........just all kinds of issues that complicate their being able to do a really good job of what their primary purpose is supposed to be and used to be. :dude:

provide academic instruction. That is the main goal.

You can get social at your place of worship, with neighbors, boy/girlscouts, rec centers, over AIM with your classmates. The main purpose is academics. Do you teach social interaction?

I think public school is nothing more than government-sponsored day care. It SHOULD be about the building of intellectual capital but it isn't.

I think schools do a disservice to their students by gearing just about everything towards going to college. First of all, not everyone who applies to college gets in, and then what do you do with the students who don't? They COULD have learned some tangible job skills while in high school rather than have an education that, although more intellectual, is irrelevant if you are flipping burgers or pumping gas or whatever else. Teach them plumbing or mechanics or something that can help them get a better job rather than simply preach college to them and hope for the best.

Public school is about teaching youths to get ready for the real world. The point is parents can't do that because the world they learned to be ready for is a lot differant then the world that we live in today. Remember people, society is moving at a much faster pace in technological and social evolement. Before it was fitting for parent to teach their children about socializing and so on, but now things are so differant then what they were before.

You need all sorts of differant skills to survive in a workforce enviroment, and one of those is of course social interaction, if you can't do that then you're going to be screwed. Also you want to aim the youth towards such things as university and community college, so that you can improve the economy.

There are many things that the school has to offer for those who don't think they could make it into university, such as construction tech where people are taught skills needed to build houses and other structures. My school also has a metal shop, and a car garage where students learn mechanics by restoring old vehicles. The school systems teach and offer many things that they didn't say even 10 years ago, so it's quite obvisious why the old generations don't fully understand whats good about it.

Nemesis Posted Today, 06:33 PM

Public school is about teaching youths to get ready for the real world. The point is parents can't do that because the world they learned to be ready for is a lot differant then the world that we live in today.

Nem - I'm not sure I understand your meaning about the real world. Exactly what world are parents (ie grownups) living in? I live everyday in the real world, believe me you don't walk off a college campus and remain in stasis. Life is about continuing to learn. You also develop experience - which makes decision making easier over time because you have a body of practical knowledge (rather than classroom theory) to draw from. The smarter employees dedicate themselves to constantly learning and keeping up with developing technology and trends.

In fact, a young college graduate walking into the office with the goal of teaching the old folks the way it should be done is just beginning their education.

And to be honest I'm not sure what you mean by "skills" If you mean technical knowlege or academics I agree- that's what schools should focus on , if you mean social skills I'd like to know what you think school has over other facets of "real" life. Most students have too much "real life" outside of school.

And technology may change but human nature has not - sure there may be different slang, terminology etc. but the basic skills for getting along with people are the same as they have always been. (granted if you live in a specialized culture like a gang there may be different rules). In the workplace you can be a team player or a selfserving brown-noser. You can be honest or you can be duplicitous. You can be responsible and have a work ethic or not. You may be resented by your coworkers or sought out for advice. No artifice or technology will compensate for lack of personal character.

Actually, as I mentioned in another thread I got more social exposure in other outlets than in school. For me that was church and before you start shaking your head, I participated in plays, speech contests (which I won), sporting events, dances, more public speaking opportunities, camping, youth conferences and basic socials like hay rides and more dances. I had experiences planning activities and learning what happens when people do or do not honor their commitment. I had as much fun with church as I ever had in school, yeah there were spiritual lessons that involved getting up early but those were good for me too.

As for other social outlets, I have little nieces that besides pre school have or have had soccer, swimming, gymnastics, dance and softball. You can't tell me they're not getting social experience there - these girls have stopped the waitress in a restaurant and asked where their food was? not shy kids these girls :rolleyes: I have a nephew that took music lessons and at thirteen got hired by a church to play the keyboard for their meetings - good social and work experience IMO.

I'm not saying you can't learn other things in school - ***edited to avoid going off topic*** I just prefer an emphasis on academics in school.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Well of course I WANT their purpose to be educating my child to the best of their ability for giving her the best chance at becoming successful in life and never needing to worry or be poor in life (like me) but lately it seems their main purpose is to make parents pay for everything that I got for free when I went to school!

So-called "academic instruction." It seems more and more though that it's more about getting kids ready for college as stated before and indoctrinating them. Not to mention teaching them "valueless knowledge". Of course there's also the fact people are making courses more to test good then anything else, regardless of how absurd these tests are.