Sign in to follow this  
Odie

Windows XP

Microsoft Corp will have its new security update soon. Here is an article that I found in Buffalo News Friday, September 3, 2004.

Microsoft warns users

9/3/2004 

SEATTLE (AP) - Though Microsoft Corp.'s new security update package is all about protecting systems from worms, viruses and spyware, it can't do much about what's already on computers - and that could pose a problem.

The company is warning users of the Windows XP operating system to check for spyware before downloading the free massive security update, called Service Pack 2.

Barry Goff, a group product manager at Microsoft, said some spyware could cause computers to freeze up upon installation of the update.

Spyware, which typically piggybacks with downloaded software such as file-sharing programs, tracks behavior, triggers pop-up ads and can otherwise cause problems on computers.

Programs such as Ad-Aware and SpySweeper can scour computers for spyware. Microsoft recommends that users clean their PCs of spyware and back up their data before turning on the auto update feature that automatically downloads Service Pack 2, or SP2.

People who download SP2 also may need to check whether legitimate programs, such as third-party security software, need to be updated. SP2 makes major changes, including adding a Windows Firewall to better guard computers against attack, and those changes can also cause compatibility issues with other software.

Thier a little late with that info. ^_^ I recieved the SP2 last week. I've no problems to report however, everything's working fine here.

Thier a little late with that info.  ^_^ I recieved the SP2 last week. I've no problems to report however, everything's working fine here.

259641[/snapback]

I've just read in the paper and I didn't get the update.