Sign in to follow this  
master_q

William Shatner

William Shatner

William Shatner (James T. Kirk) is being sued by his ex-wife, Marcy Lafferty Shatner, for breach of contract, according to Kentucky.com. She is alleging the actor provided horse semen in frozen form, rather than in the specified "fresh, cooled format". Read more at this page. Thanks to 'Stovelkor' and others who sent this in!

William Shatner will be appearing on the cable show The Screen Savers on TechTV today at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time. Further information can be found here.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/090503_02.shtml

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Shatner sued over saddlebred semen

Actor's ex-wife unhappy about frozen product

By Greg Kocher

CENTRAL KENTUCKY BUREAU

VERSAILLES - Tribbles aren't the latest trouble for actor William Shatner, best known for his role as Capt. James T. Kirk of Star Trek.

No, what's getting him sued for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in Woodford Circuit Court is, well, frozen horse semen.

Shatner's second wife, Marcy Lafferty Shatner, whom he divorced in 1995, is suing him for breach of contract over the breeding privileges of three American saddlebred stallions.

In a civil suit filed late last month, Lafferty claims that Shatner, an American saddlebred horse breeder who has owned Central Kentucky horse farms since the mid-1980s, broke an agreement in their 1995 divorce settlement that specifies those privileges.

Shatner, 72, who lives in Lexington and Studio City, Calif., has not yet filed a response to the suit.

"I'm not even sure that it's actually been served," said C. Thomas Ezzell, the Lexington attorney who filed the complaint.

The suit specifically names Great Day's Came the Son, a stallion that stands at stud in Woodford County.

Under the terms of the divorce settlement, Lafferty was entitled to one breeding privilege per calendar year. Until this breeding season, the privilege took the form of Shatner providing Lafferty the semen of Great Day's Came the Son in "fresh cooled format," the suit said.

But in March, Lafferty learned that the breeding privileges from Great Day's Came the Son and two other stallions would now be in the form of frozen semen.

"Mr. Shatner's offer to provide semen from the three stallions in question in frozen form is unacceptable to Ms. Lafferty," the suit said. "Potential buyers of the breeding privileges do not want the semen in frozen format."

"My understanding of this is that there is a lower percentage of successful impregnations with frozen," Ezzell said. "You know, you only get one shot at this, so to speak."

Lafferty claims that the frozen semen goes against the 1995 settlement, and that she has suffered "economic harm" as a result.

Exactly how much harm isn't stated, but the complaint said Lafferty's sale of a breeding privilege was canceled when the buyer learned the semen was available only as frozen.

The contract between Shatner and Lafferty permits her to use breeding privileges "at her sole discretion." In this case, discretion means not only what she does with the horse sperm but how she receives it, Ezzell said.

It could be "fresh cooled," frozen or "live cover" -- the horse industry's term for impregnation by natural means. Live cover is the only form of impregnation recognized by the Jockey Club, which registers thoroughbred horses, but other breeds accept foals that are the products of other forms of breeding.

If Lafferty is deprived of one of the options, "or in this case, all but one of the options of the ways to use the breeding privilege, it severely limits the economic value of that privilege," Ezzell said.

Lafferty also claims that frozen semen denied her the opportunity to breed her mare, Espere, to the stallion Sultan's Great Day, the majestic black stallion that became the foundation of Shatner's commercial breeding operation. Offspring from this cross have sold for as much as $165,000, the suit said.

Lafferty's suit asks for a jury trial and a court order declaring that future failures or refusals to provide breeding privileges will be violations of the settlement agreement.

Clearly, tribbles --those lovable alien fuzzballs with an astonishing birthrate that threatened to overrun the Starship Enterprise in a classic Star Trek episode -- never posed this kind of legal headache for Capt. Kirk. But this is not Shatner's first tangle in court over horse breeding.

In 1990, a former associate sued him over breeding rights to Sultan's Great Day, a world champion fine harness horse, in 1983 and 1984. Lexington horsewoman Linda Johnson, who previously owned part of the stallion, contended that Shatner violated an agreement under which she could breed two mares a year for the duration of the stallion's life.

Shatner argued that there was no agreement and that the seasons, the common term for breeding rights, represented a gift, which he withdrew after 1988.

A Fayette Circuit Court judge sided with Shatner after a two-day trial. Shatner said then that the lawsuit had not soured him on the horse business.

"In any business, people have a different perception of the truth," he said. "And in this instance there was a difference of opinion as to what was true ... and the judge ruled that perhaps my apprehension of reality was the correct one."

--Kentcky.com http://www.kentucky.com/mld/heraldleader/n...cal/5802732.htm

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Semen storage.....now that's something I never thought I'd be reading about on a Star Trek board. :wow::bow::laugh:

take that bill!!! hehehe. yes, that is an odd post but it shows me that im not the only one who dislikes shatner. lol.

take that bill!!! hehehe. yes, that is an odd post but it shows me that im not the only one who dislikes shatner. lol.

You speak blasphemy, all hail Shatner! :laugh:

The more I hear about this guy, the more I really don't like him...I'm glad I never liked Kirk!

Although having met Shatner once and seen the way he acts I find it hard to say that I dislike the fellow as I cannot claim to know him. But no matter how Shatner acts I will not allow that to affect my enjoyment of the show and of the character Kirk, because a character and an actor can be two completely different people even though some essence of an actor must seep through.

I hope that does not sound patronising as that was not what was intended, but it is something that I always remember and consider vital when watching a show.

Sign in to follow this