Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Tales of the Dominion War Poll

Which TDW story was your favourite?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which TDW story was your favourite?

• What Dreams May Come by Michael Jan Friedman
    • Night of the Vulture by Greg Cox
    • The Ceremony of Innocence is Drowned by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    • Blood Sacrifice by Josepha Sherman & Susan Shwartz
    • Mirror Eyes by Heather Jarman & Jeffrey Lang
    • Twilight's Wrath by David Mack
    • Eleven Hours Out by David Galanter
    • Safe Harbours by Howard Weinstein
    • Field Expediency by Dayton Ward and Kevin Delmore
    • A Song Well Sung by Robert Greenburger
    • Stone Cold Truths by Peter David
    • Requital by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels

When I heard about Tales of The Dominion War I immediately looked forward too it. I really enjoyed watching the War on DS9 and I really wanted to know what was going on elsewhere. I liked DeCandido comparing how seeing the war from DS9's perspective was like watching the Korean War from the perspective of MASH. Anyway, this anthology did not disappoint and I enjoyed it.

My favourite story was 'Eleven Hours Out' featuring the adventures of the TNG crew during the Breen attack on Earth. I thought it was cool to see the attack from many perspectives and the tribute to the crew of the space shuttle Columbia was a nice gesture.

Most of the other stories were good.

-What Dreams May Come featured excellent deception and I loved how the Vorta was caught so totally by surprise.

-Night of The Vulture was good, quite graphic really. Excellent irony at the story's conclusion.

-The Ceremony of Innocence is Drowned was good because it shed light on how Betazed was taken by the Dominion. There was also some great backstory for Lwaxana. The thing that really shocked me about this story was

Click For Spoiler

-I really did not get Blood Sacrifice. It was good to see Spock in action but I just felt it was too much of a stretch of canon. Plus I felt I was missing some background knowledge with with respect to this story.

-Mirror Eyes was enjoyable. I thought the journal format was good but the story was confusing at times. I also thought the events of this story were a bit of strain on canon. You think someone would have mentioned this virus invented by the Dominion especially when Section 31 did the same basic thing to the Founders. Other than that, good story. Oh, and I liked how a little of every series was used.

Twilight's Wrath was second favourite story in the anthology. It really filled in a lot of Shinzon's story and added clarity to many elements of Nemesis. It was also quite graphic in its telling of the battle.

Safe Harbours was third on my list. It demonstrated the friendship between McCoy and Scotty very well and between the whole crew really. It also emphasized the horror of war with the Saladin's crew being so young and the building of trust between Starfleet and the Bakrii. Personally, I thought the end was a little cheesy but with a very important message.

Field Expediency was good, though I had a hard time picturing the environment in my mind. I'm not familiar with the SCE series but I liked the story. I liked the use of Rondon as an intelligence operative especially with him being such a minor character. The battle was good and the ingenuity of the engineers was also good.

A Song Well Sung gave the Klingon perspective on the war and Klag was a valiant hero. Fighting through difficulty is something I find very admirable and Klag had to fight through a lot.

Stone Cold Truths did an excellent job of dispelling the myth that war is glorious. It was short but Kebron's story was good

Click For Spoiler
And it was interesting to see the war from a future perspective.
Click For Spoiler

Requital was another story that I think strained canon but made good use of two previously barely used characters (Reese and Ekoor). It continued to emphasize the horror of war that was done so well with The Seige of AR-558. I liked how it took place during the events of What You Leave Behind and used dialogue directly from the episode. Nice character moment for Sisko.

I hope I didn't give too much away with my brief reviews and if I did I apologize. I highly recommend this book. It is a great look at the entire Star Trek universe during a difficult time in its history.

I haven't read any of the DS9 books at all, I may pick one up in the future and take a look though.

I don't know that I'd compare DS9 to M*A*S*H though lol

Well, they are similar in the sense that they both provide a limited perspecive of a larger conflict going on and they are both great shows.

I was supposed to be sent TotDW for free back in July. Did it arrive? Nope. Now I'm told it was "lost in the post" . . . *sigh*

I Picked This Up The Day It Came Out!Twilight's Wrath Was My Favorite.Filled In The Gaps From Nemesis On How Shinzon Acquried B4,And The Remans In Action!

When I heard about Tales of The Dominion War I immediately looked forward too it. I really enjoyed watching the War on DS9 and I really wanted to know what was going on elsewhere. I liked DeCandido comparing how seeing the war from DS9's perspective was like watching the Korean War from the perspective of MASH. Anyway, this anthology did not disappoint and I enjoyed it.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

-The Ceremony of Innocence is Drowned was good because it shed light on how Betazed was taken by the Dominion. There was also some great backstory for Lwaxana. The thing that really shocked me about this story was
Click For Spoiler
how Mr. Homn was killed in the attack. That caught me totally off guard.

Regarding your spoiler, it was meant to catch you off guard. :frusty: So I'm glad that worked....

-I really did not get Blood Sacrifice. It was good to see Spock in action but I just felt it was too much of a stretch of canon. Plus I felt I was missing some background knowledge with with respect to this story.

FWIW, the background you're referring to was in the other novels by the same authors: Vulcan's Forge and Vulcan's Heart.

-Mirror Eyes was enjoyable. I thought the journal format was good but the story was confusing at times. I also thought the events of this story were a bit of strain on canon. You think someone would have mentioned this virus invented by the Dominion especially when Section 31 did the same basic thing to the Founders. Other than that, good story. Oh, and I liked how a little of every series was used.

There was a lot going on during the war, and remember this adventure took place over a couple of weeks during the three-month gap between seasons six and seven. That's a lot of time for stuff to happen...

I hope I didn't give too much away with my brief reviews and if I did I apologize. I highly recommend this book. It is a great look at the entire Star Trek universe during a difficult time in its history.

255291[/snapback]

Again, thanks!