Sign in to follow this  
ussacclaim

The "God" Particle

This is in response to the topic that Master-Q had on the homepage.

Why would they call it a God-particle if it's related to the Big Bang, which means the universe was created by chance?

AND.......God was already in existence BEFORE the Big Bang.

255260[/snapback]

Preach it, Sister Jeanway!

It sounds like another attempt to box in God. He is omniscient - all-knowing, omnipotent - all-powerful, and omnipresent - everywhere present. I once heard an analogy, that mankind is to God what a clay pot is to a master potter. Its inane for a pot to "understand" its maker. Just as we cannot be expected to comprehend God. That is where the term "faith" comes in. We accept God and is will by faith. Now I'm preaching. Pardon me.

Why would they call it a God-particle if it's related to the Big Bang, which means the universe was created by chance?

Well perhaps it's because (as the Bible says) Man DOES inherently believe in God but are in "rebellion" (italics = His Words) to admit it except when it fits our needs, ("they love their inventions") somehow. (Faith like Jeanways & jaz4debo above is a Gift, without the Gift of Faith be Given to us there would be no Faith at all in the world) *steps away from the pulpit*

Sorry jaz4debo, I hadn't seen your post above when I did, I edited to include you. :)

Edited by Alterego

dang, maybe I should have posted this in Kronos.

AND.......God was already in existence BEFORE the Big Bang.

255260[/snapback]

But since God exists, then there is no need for the Big Bang, since God created the universe.

It sounds like another attempt to box in God. He is omniscient - all-knowing, omnipotent - all-powerful, and omnipresent - everywhere present. I once heard an analogy, that mankind is to God what a clay pot is to a master potter. Its inane for a pot to "understand" its maker. Just as we cannot be expected to comprehend God. That is where the term "faith" comes in. We accept God and is will by faith. Now I'm preaching. Pardon me.

255267[/snapback]

I believe you are referring to the analogy in the Bible, can't remember the scripture, I want to say Jeremiah 18:1-11.

::cloaks the preaching, read if you like::

Click For Spoiler
Correct, we can never fully comprehend God, but the bible gives us many instances of his qualities, including his cardinal attributes wisdom, power, justice and love (1 John 4:8) But we are invited to learn about God (James 4:8) which is oe reason why we have the bible.

In response to the question, it's called the "God" particle because it is speculated that at some point in the very early universe, all forces were the same. That is, gravitation, electromagnetic, strong, and weak forces were all the same and all mediated by the same particle (in the particle physics paradigm). As the universe cooled and its density dropped, this particle decayed, and the forces began to "decouple." (Not all forces necessarily decoupled at the same time, by the way.) This as yet unobserved particle is referred to as the Higgs boson, but many physicists call it the "God" particle, as it is the source of all interactions in the universe.

By the way, not all physicists - myself included - call it the "God" particle.

Edited by nik

Amen...Revelation chapter 22 vs. 13 " I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last" Jesus Christ. We don't know how God created the universe, we just know he created it. Yes, it might have been through the big bang. But who can say for sure.

AMEN!!!!

What I don't understand is how people are saying that the universe was created from one particle. Have we ever created or replicated a molecule? There is no direct proof for the Big Bang but there is for God.

There was a recent study in St. Luke's hospital here in the Texas medical center, one of the best, or should I say the best. It is located here in Houston. They did a study with a control group with the same injuries. another group knew they were being prayed for. Another group was prayed for but didn't know.

Guess who had the quickest recovery time?

The people who did not know they were being prayed for. Now that is what you call proof.

That is not proof, you just want it to be.

Until 'God' shows 'himself' i cannot believe in 'him', there is no solid proof behind any religion, sorry to dissapoint you, but it's true.

Faith is what it is, believing in something without proof, i personally cannot do that.

I'm not saying your fools for believing in hear-say, its just that i can't.

Until 'God' shows 'himself' i cannot believe in 'him', there is no solid proof behind any religion, sorry to dissapoint you, but it's true.

Faith is what it is, believing in something without proof, i personally cannot do that.

261795[/snapback]

^^^This statement is begging for a reply. Here's mine:

Arms, even the most intelligent being alive today, even a "Data" if he were here, cannot prove "God" using empirical science, because He has always been in existence. One of His names is "Yahweh" or "I Am". Science requires a "before" , "during" and "after" set of steps, or such as that. However there is "evidence that demands a verdict" -also the title of a book by Josh Mcdowell . As you may know, cases before a judge have been won with circumstantial evidence. Although one piece may not prove a case, amassing a lot of it may, and has won, when there was "no smoking gun" you might say.

There is also the testimony of hundreds of witnesses documented not just in the Bible, but in writings of other scholars of the day. One was a Roman by the name of Pliny the younger (?). And what of the recurrence of Jesus Christ in the books of the other religions, including the Koran? Yes, these may not give Jesus the recognition of deity, yet the fact that His name occurs in so many other cultures and literature other than Christianity strongly implies that He is indeed an historical figure, not a made-up character of legends.

Since He is an historical figure, what of His own testimony? Only the Bible provides this, and in it He calls Himself the Son of God, among other titles.

As Josh said, either " He's a liar, a lunatic, or who He claims to be..."

One other thing: He has said in the Bible that He will be coming back. The question remains: will you be ready to meet Him? I know that I am! :wacko:

I remember this verse:

"For by grace you have been saved, through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."

Ephesians 2:8-9

261795[/snapback]

^^^This statement is begging for a reply. Here's mine:

Arms, even the most intelligent being alive today, even a "Data" if he were here, cannot prove "God" using empirical science, because He has always been in existence. One of His names is "Yahweh" or "I Am". Science requires a "before" , "during" and "after" set of steps, or such as that. However there is "evidence that demands a verdict" -also the title of a book by Josh Mcdowell . As you may know, cases before a judge have been won with circumstantial evidence. Although one piece may not prove a case, amassing a lot of it may, and has won, when there was "no smoking gun" you might say.

There is also the testimony of hundreds of witnesses documented not just in the Bible, but in writings of other scholars of the day. One was a Roman by the name of Pliny the younger (?). And what of the recurrence of Jesus Christ in the books of the other religions, including the Koran? Yes, these may not give Jesus the recognition of deity, yet the fact that His name occurs in so many other cultures and literature other than Christianity strongly implies that He is indeed an historical figure, not a made-up character of legends.

Since He is an historical figure, what of His own testimony? Only the Bible provides this, and in it He calls Himself the Son of God, among other titles.

As Josh said, either " He's a liar, a lunatic, or who He claims to be..."

One other thing: He has said in the Bible that He will be coming back. The question remains: will you be ready to meet Him? I know that I am! :wacko:

I remember this verse:

"For by grace you have been saved, through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."

Ephesians 2:8-9

261810[/snapback]

lol, i knew someone would have a good rant at my statement.

I myself cannot believe something unless it's proven, therefore anything thought religious, is rejected by my brain, as there is never any proof attached.

I have no objection to religion, but i hate those who try to push it on others, i once threw a brick at some religious types who kept knocking at our door.

It is my personal belief that all religion was made up by well wishers, in an attempt to destroy the negative aspects of humanity, the 10 commandments, is a good example. People are led to believe that if they 'behave' themselves in life, then theres a big reward at the end. You could call it brainwashing. It has worked well on the whole in the past, but for the future, it brings nothings but war and hatrid.

Guest Ktrek

Arms,

I understand your thinking about the esistence of God but perhaps you haven't rationally thought it through. I would like to submit an excellent debate that occured at the University of Knoxville in 1995 between a Christian scholar and an atheist. I believe that most atheist objections to the existence of God were addressed in a reasonable and rational way. Here is the link:

THE CRAIG-PIGLIUCCI DEBATE: DOES GOD EXIST?

I hope you take the time to follow the reasoning and arguments through to see that believing in God is not "just" a matter of faith but that science and reason all point to the veracity of it.

Kevin

Edited by Ktrek

261810[/snapback]

lol, i knew someone would have a good rant at my statement.

I myself cannot believe something unless it's proven, therefore anything thought religious, is rejected by my brain, as there is never any proof attached.

I have no objection to religion, but i hate those who try to push it on others, i once threw a brick at some religious types who kept knocking at our door.

261814[/snapback]

:) Those were probably people of my group! :)

Anyway, the creation itself gives evidence to the existance of God, in fact the Bible states that (Romans 1:20).

Basically, it's almost insulting to think that our whole existance had no purpose and came about by accident, or crawled out of an ocean somewhere.

"evidence that demands a verdict" -also the title of a book by Josh Mcdowell

I have it on my desk here right now....

@ Arms, How can you not call that proof? It does show a greater presence in the universe. Think about it. The people who did know they were being prayed for recovered the fastest!!

How can you question God's existance? Look at the complexity of the universe.

Modern Science cannot explain how the big bang occurred. Why not believe in God? If you look at Pineapples, sunflowers, etc., you can see patters. These are described as fibonacci series. If the pattern is found in nature, isn't there a design to the universe?

Your just looking for the easiest explanation, its all gods work, but if we could explain the universe, there would be no point in existence.

Your just looking for the easiest explanation, its all gods work, but if we could explain the universe, there would be no point in existence.

264587[/snapback]

There is one major myth about religion. It is the belief that religions is just a replacement for rationality and a way to explain a universe. Believe me, it's much more personal.