Sign in to follow this  
kirk1701

Query: Starfleet Command Logo

Although the United Federation of Planets hasn't been formed yet, Starfleet Command certainly has, and I was just wondering if we've ever seen their logo on the show? It would be interesting, since we know that eventually it became the emblem Kirk wore in TOS, with a swish effect over it.

(BTW, for you rookies out there, you may be interested to know that originally, the triangle emblem from TOS was worn ONLY by the Enterprise crew. Each ship in the fleet had their own emblem. Check out the one worn by Commodore Decker in The Doomsday Machine, from his ship the U.S.S. Constitution.)

That is correct Kirk 1701 but if you take it even a step further you will see each departement has their own logo inside of the triangle ie. medical, engineering etc..

Yes we have seen it in at least two ENT episodes; one outside Headquarters and once on a flag. (I forget which episodes) Some months back an entire thread on this subject (complete with pics) was done but my first search for it was unsuccessful, I'll search again...

In the meantime I'll say that the emblem at the time of ENT is very simular to what NASA uses presently only the arrow is longer and lies slightly on it's side as opposed to the vertical.

It'll be interesting if on ENT they show the development of the different ship emblems as seen later on TOS.

Yes, Aires,you are correct. There was Command (Kirk), Sciences (Spock, McCoy), Engineering (Scotty, Uhura), and for some reason, Nurse Chapel's was different from McCoy's. She had a Red Cross logo. Guess she was special (aka Mrs. Gene Roddenberry) LOL.

Whew, found it at last.

The spoilers need to be fixed though... I'll fix them then bump the thread...

Edited by Alterego

Glad you found it, Alterego. I also found some logos which I've put together into one graphic, showing the possible evolution from NASA to Star Fleet Command.

post-1153-1093419377.jpg

In tracking down the NASA logo, one website, The Space Store.com, had some info which I thought was interesting:

NASA's vector logo dates back to 1959 when the agency was created from the old National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics (NACA). Based on a NASA Lewis Research Center illustrator's design, it was modified by James Modarelli, head of Lewis' Research Reports Division. The sphere represents a planet, the stars represent space, the red chevron is a wing representing aeronautics, and the orbit represents a spacecraft going around the wing. It was nicknamed "The Meatball" in 1975, to differentiate it from NASA's new worm logo at the time. The worm logo was replaced by a revised version of the Meatball in 1992.

For more info, go to NASA's page about the Meatball logo

post-1153-1093583522.jpg

Found a color version of the Starfleet Command seal. BTW, it was first seen in the DS9 episode "Homefront", and later appeared in the VOY episode "In The Flesh". Source: Star Trek Sticker Book, by Michael Okuda, Denise Okuda & Doug Drexler, (Pocket Books). And it's not just the stickers, either. There's plenty of info about the graphics, ships, and hardware. The one I have is from '99, but I wonder if they've put out an updated one, including stuff from ENT. Anyone know?

In the Flesh

the emblem could have been wrong. Remember the recreation was imperfect. but now since they use it al the time...

We have to accept it.

Thanks Kirk1701, I never noticed the similarities between the NASA and Starfleet emblems.

Cool bit O' info! :innocent:

the alst obe looks the coolest, then the nasa one, i think they should redo the nasa one and make it better :angry:

Yes, Aires,you are correct. There was Command (Kirk), Sciences (Spock, McCoy), Engineering (Scotty, Uhura), and for some reason, Nurse Chapel's was different from McCoy's. She had a Red Cross logo. Guess she was special (aka Mrs. Gene Roddenberry) LOL.

255157[/snapback]

That's not surprising, considering that even now when someone associates a symbol with doctors it's a winged staff with two serpents intertwined about it, but for nurses it's a red cross.

I wonder why the Earth Starfleet Command logo isn't at a reverse 45 degree angle, because that would look more like a cross between the NASA and UFP logos. The way they made it i think it's a bit tacky also :(.