Sign in to follow this  
voyagerboy

Whats fictional about it IT WILL BE REAL

I agree with you. Some people say this sort of stuff is impossable but 200 years ago people would have though going to the moon was pure fantisy.

Exactly, space travel was fantasy a couple of centuries ago and look at us. Heck, flying airplanes was a thing of fairy tales too.

Star Trek has definately had a hand in ideas for new items! I am sure of this...After all a hand held communicator from TOS looks awfully like a cell phone. Or a PDA looks like a PADD from TNG, now doesn't it. Both real items function like their fictional counter parts. Who's to say that many other facets of Star Trek will very soon become reality...

That is the truly great thing about Trek, it is fictional, and yet so many real items have come from it.....GOTTA LOVE TREK!!

one of the reasons TOS did so well dispite the cheap set and props is that the science part of it was acutally researched. (Unlike ENTwhy bother to its "Silly") The space suits they wore with the tholians were a concept straight from NASA and so were the food cubes but the food cubes never made it. They had many coraspondances with NASA regarding design and functionability of props.

I will say that if you have a great futuristic invention what better means of acceptance to the general public then to paste it all over Star Trek.

I wonder just how long it will be before transporters or replicators come about. We already recycle water and air with filters. hhhmmmm

This one is a fifty/fifty type of response. Yes, we have seen a number of objects that were first shown in Star Trek now become everyday objects. e.g. cell phones (communicators), computer interfaces and other such items. There is also the fact that some everyday appliances and the electronics for them were already in use during the 60's space program. Microwave technology and processors come to mind and it was just a matter of time before they filtered down to the consumer level. But as for the more esoteric aspects of Star Trek, like warp drive, graviton plating, inertia dampers and such, they may not become a reality in our lifetime or in the near future. There are too many real barriers that still exist that we have to overcome first and the present day rate of space science hasn't matched up to the dream of Roddenberry. The matter/anti-matter power source, being the most daunting. Quantum physics has just begun to scratch the surface of some of these problems but the funding just isn't there. Yes, it is wonderful to dream and dreams have and do come true. At one point in our recent history, it was believed that man was never meant to fly but we seem to do that quite well now. And thanks to modern avionics, we don't have to flap our arms to achieve this. But crossing the great chasm of space and breaking the time barrier as well as achieving light speed, let along break it, might be another thousand years in the making yet. I'm not trying to be negative but reality is reality and as much as I would love to see any of that happen, I'm afraid we are all going to have to live that aspect through our devotion to Star Trek. All of this doesn't mean that we can't pass the dream down to our offspring and such. Look how much of Star Trek has become part of the common lexicon in our every day life and even people who are not followers are caught using Star Trek terminology. It's things like these that will keep the dream and the possibility alive.

one of the reasons TOS did so well dispite the cheap set and props is that the science part of it was acutally researched. (Unlike ENTwhy bother to its "Silly")  The space suits they wore with the tholians were a concept straight from NASA and so were the food cubes but the food cubes never made it.  They had many coraspondances with NASA regarding design and functionability of props.

I will say that if you have a great futuristic invention what better means of acceptance to the general public then to paste it all over Star Trek. 

I wonder just how long it will be before transporters or replicators come about.  We already recycle water and air with filters.  hhhmmmm

:wow: B) B) :wow::laugh::laugh::wow::wow: BINGO!!!!!!!!!! Just what I was hoping someone would think. I love your moving enterprise logo to unforchunitly I guess i don't know the internet as well as you. :wow: