Sign in to follow this  
Odie

Air Conditioning

The heat of summer makes me very gratefully for one inventor from my hometown, Buffalo, New York. The person who invented air conditioning was Willis Haviland Carrier. He is known as "The Father of Cool".

hist_willis.jpg

Here is a bio of Willis Havilan Carrier.

Click for Spoiler:

The bio is from Carrier Corporation

Willis Haviland Carrier did pretty well for a boy who had to slice a peck of apples into halves, quarters and eighths to grasp the notion of fractions. 

Raised on a farm near the snowy eastern shore of Lake Erie in Angola, New York, the young Carrier grew up as an only child in an extended family of adults including his grandparents and great aunt. Some described him as a solitary youth who entertained himself playing games of his own invention. 

In his adult years, legends grew around him as a problem-solving genius who sometimes noodled solutions for a year or two. Perhaps that skill was an outgrowth of his difficulty with fractions. 

"My mother told me to bring up a pan of apples from the cellar," Carrier said. "She had me cut them into halves, quarters and eighths and add and subtract the parts. Fractions took on a new meaning and I felt as if no problems would be too hard for me - I'd simply break them down to something simple and they would be easy to solve." 

Carrier entered Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. on a four-year scholarship, but he was forced to earn room and board money by mowing lawns, stoking furnaces, and, during his senior year, forming a co-op student laundry. 

With a degree in mechanical engineering, he found a job at the Buffalo Forge Company in June, 1901 and began designing heating systems to dry lumber and coffee. Carrier realized the data available to him or any engineer wasn't sufficient to design soundly engineered systems. 

He started his own research program to determine how much heat air would hold as it was blown across steam-heated pipes. For the first time, the company's engineers could accurately estimate how much heater surface area was needed to heat a given space. In one heating system alone, the tables Carrier developed saved the company $40,000 that had been spent previously in correcting poorly designed installations. 

Carrier, barely a year out of college, was made head of the company's department of experimental engineering. It was here that he solved his first problem in temperature and humidity control for the Sackett-Wilhelms Lithographing and Publishing Company in Brooklyn. 

Even though he was still 13 years away from forming his own air conditioning company, Carrier exhibited the kind of focused reliance on hard data, combined with a lively vision and imagination, that would power an industry. 

He was a dreamer, but he based his dreams on reality. "I fish only for edible fish, and hunt only for edible game - even in the laboratory."

Edited by Odie

I wish we had Air conditioning at work its far to hot. Even with all windows and doors open. I guess 15 computers just make a room to hot.

I wish we had Air conditioning at work its far to hot. Even with all windows and doors open. I guess 15 computers just make a room to hot.

Tell the people that you work for to get ac installed. The computer need to be in cool enviroment or they will over heat. No joke. With the ac the computer will perform much better. The fans in the computer are they for short term use.

The ppl i work with agree that we need ac and we know that it will help the computers. However we have a centre manager who runs the estate we work on including the IT cnetre and he doesnt think its worth it seeings that most of the time its cold. Hopefully it wont be long before he hands it over to us and then were gonna buy one.

I'm forever grateful to that man. :waaaa: I'm a wuss when it comes to high temps, so I'd be a cranky guy if I didn't have air conditioning.

I never had an ac while growing up in Buffalo. Now that I have one I can't image life without one. :laugh:

Kudos to Willis Haviland Carrier. :bow:

M quit her job last week (she has a new one now) so we're expecting a pretty big final check from that job on this coming Friday. We're planning to use some of the X-tra cash to finally purchase an AC unit.

Question please: what are the pros and cons between an AC unit and a Swamp Cooler? I know ACs use refrigeration and the other uses water for cooling but which is the best and why? :bow:

Thank YOU!!!!! Mr. Carrier!!!!!

Houston with its high 90 temps with 90% humidity is unbearabe without an air conditioning. That's why Houston is the most air-conditioned city in the world.

Well we have central air, seeming like a waste of money now because we never use it :clap: only been hovering in the 20's this year. To get the Humidity great a dehumidifier.