Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Randy Johnson Strikes Out 4000

Stardate:214276.8

When a tall scragly looking guy was traded to the Seattle Mariners for Mark Langston many people thought the Mariners were crazy."Who is this Randy Johnson guy and how dare you trade him for a proven vetrean like Mark Lanston!" many people said.

16 yeers later and Randy Johnson is one of the most dominating pitchers of all time.A few months ago he threw a perfect game and a few days ago he struck out Jeff Cirrilo to become the 4th pitcher in history to strike out 4000 people.

Last year Roger Clemens did the same thing.But the big difference here is that Clemenes career is coming to a close whereas Randy's career still has time left.Next on the All-Time strike out list is fellow lefty Steve Carlton.Johnson should pass him by the end of the season and if he did that would make him the greatest left handed pitcher of all time.There is no doubt in my mind he will also overcome Roger Clemens who will prolly retire this year or the next.

The question is can he reach the king? The headhunter? Can he reach Nolan Ryan. Ryan has 5714(i believe) strikeouts and is number 1.I think Randy has a chance.The Big Unit has struck out 1000 people over three years so at his current pace he would need to play roughly 4-5 years more to pass Ryan.Another thing he has going for him is the fact that of the four in the 4000 k club Johnson has the highest K/GP(strikeouts per games played.)Carlton has 7.1,Clemens has 8.6,Ryan has 9.6 and Randy has 11.1.

The Big Unit with 4000 k's

Stardate:214267.8

Well Randy was named to the All-Star team and rightfully so.I just wonder if hes gonna start.I dont think he will because Clemens is there and they are in Houston.Plus Clemens has better numbers.Though IMO Jason Schmit should start because he was the best numbers(10-2,2.14 era).But Clemens is prolly the best bet.Should be interesting to see him pitch to and not at Mike Piazza.