Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Corporeal Carbon-based Humanoid Bipedal Life-forms

Do you think that "Star Trek" has too many humanoids?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that "Star Trek" has too many humanoids?

• Yes
    • No
    • Well, it is Star Trek...
    • Most sci-fi has alot already...
    • Secret Mystery Poll Choice!

What's your opinion on the vast variety of humanoids in Star Trek?

I like my nonhumanoids, like the talking brains and such, and have been finding that they seem to do the same kind of life again and again...

But they say Star Trek is the 'human adventure'....

What's your opinion?lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

Well in The Chase (TNG) it was shown why...

Edited by Commodore -Harry Kim-

I'm voting yes.

ENT: Mostly Humanoid species so far.

TOS: Pretty even mix of Humanoid/"blobs of goo or 'god'" type aliens.

TNG: Same as TOS for first couple of seasons then became Humanoid dominant.

DS9: Humanoid dominant.

VOY: Humanoid dominant.

I miss the days of TOS's even coverage between the two but ENT put out some fine examples of non-Humaniod species in it's first two years, hopefully we haven't seen the last of those types of episodes.

I'm voting yes.

I miss the days of TOS's even coverage between the two but ENT put out some fine examples of non-Humaniod species in it's first two years, hopefully we haven't seen the last of those types of episodes.

Same here B)

Always enjoyed the non-humanoids, like them talking brains and their quatloos (:blink: "The Gamesters of Triskelion" [TOS]), Thasians, the Horta...

I can go down the list... But I won't. :clap:

Each series has a good number of nonhumanoid species...

Problem is... It seems like it's the humanoids that run the galaxy...

(Ignoring pure-energy beings like the Organians of "Errand of Mercy" [TOS], and the "gods" like the Q-Continuum, and the various others...)lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

Edited by drwho42

I too voted yes..I would like to see more non-humanoid life forms..Enterprise has tried a little bit of that with the Insectoid and Aquatic Xindi..

I voted no. I think it is luck (or Hoshi) if they manage to communicate with a nonhumanoid...even to discern that something non-humanoid is life! I think it is more reasonable that they establish the most familiar and deepest relationships with humanoid types ( including the conflicts) because they have more points in common from which to build the ability to communicate. I think Darmok in TNG, and the episode with the web-like creature that captured Archer, Trip, and three others in ENT best illustrate the challenge of communication. There is the expectation of future contact and exchange with the Tomarians. They waved good bye to the web-like creature once they got him back to " the rest of himself" in Enterprise. There may be opportunity for further study, but they are so different, it is not likely to have the web-like creature as a future Federation member. Or Q for that matter.....( Of course they did have the Medusans in TOS....hmmmmmm :unsure:--but look at how difficult it was to transport and communicate and interact with the Medusans ... only one human regularly interacted with them...not like the wide interaction with Klingons and other humanoids... ). Also in DS9, the founders were non-humanoid, even though they would take on human form to commmunicate..they intimated the great link was something that could not be described in words.

I see I am rambling. The point is most of the the opportunity for deep interaction comes from contact with human-like creatures. There are not too many humanoid speicies.

Star trek needs more new races, like hippy vulcans.

223621[/snapback]

Hippy Vulcans? Spirits, have mercy :)

Well, it is Star Trek. If all life in the univers was seeded by just about the same thing, shouldn't wea ll have turned out similar?

Am I making sense?

i say they do and they don't just have to look at episode.i do think that some sci fi do go bit overboard about humanoids.not even sure what huminoids are..

i say they do and they don't just have to look at episode.i do think that some sci fi do go bit overboard about humanoids.not even sure what huminoids are..

256786[/snapback]

Humanoids are beings who are in the form akin to that of a human... Like those bipeds... Etc...

Haven't seen many Walking Tree-oids or hyperintelligent shades of blue yet though... :bow: *Sorry, in a Hitchhiker's Guide mood... :unsure: *

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

Well you do have to consider how non-corporeal beings can operate a control panel.... :unsure:

Yes there are way to many. Logically, I was pleasently surprised about Species 8472. Anyways, I'd much rather see some more non-corpporeal carbon-based-humanoi bipedal life-forms as the topics says B) But I suppose that simply costs to much with all the special effects so I understand the producers and writers... Not like it, but I understand B)

There is a reason why there are so many humanoid species. Not only did "The Chase" (TNG) show us why, but there is also the budget consideration. It has to be much less expensive to put someone in costume and makeup than to generate the special effects that are needed for non-humanoids.

I tink it's best for the majority to be humanoid based but it's always nice to have a change every now and then.